Springbok

Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
AGName
Springbok
AG Join Date
10/03/2020
Hi All,

First post. Looking for help. I am fortunate enough to be in the possession of 2 Sega Dreamcast HKT-0120 Dev Kits. They came in the original boxes. Both kits and boxes are in pretty spectacular condition.

I have bought all the parts I need. I have 2 PC's running windows 98. Both have the SCSI cards suggested for Dreamcast development. They are 800MZ, 512MB memory, 4GB Compact Flash cards for storage. I have bought all the SCSI cables, and terminators... so I feel like I am ready to roll.

What I am looking for is resources to setup a proper Windows 98 Dev environment for Dreamcast development. I was told this is the site to get that info. Obviously there is a wealth of info here, but I was wondering if some long time members could perhaps provide some links as a starting point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_2972.jpg

March42

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Hey, hello :)

First of all, GG for this finding. They look really nice.
This response is a bit "Off-Subject", but i wanted to advise you to dump the HDD that is inside those two units. They can die really soon (because of their age) and if you want to do some work on them, it's better to have a "clean" copy where data recovery work can be done :) Because writing data on the HDD can make some deleted data (who can be builds, sources, etc) to be permanently overwritten and lost. Of course, i talk here just about the need of dumping, not about eventually sharing those dump (You can, if you want aha, but that wasn't the subject).

For the main subject, i think you will need to install the Dreamcast SDK. You can find them on the SDK page of emuparadise. I'm not a pro on this subject so others peoples can probably help you more, i know that some members here are waay more talented with those kits :)

Good luck,
March

Springbok

Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
AGName
Springbok
AG Join Date
10/03/2020
Hey, hello :)

First of all, GG for this finding. They look really nice.
This response is a bit "Off-Subject", but i wanted to advise you to dump the HDD that is inside those two units. They can die really soon (because of their age) and if you want to do some work on them, it's better to have a "clean" copy where data recovery work can be done :) Because writing data on the HDD can make some deleted data (who can be builds, sources, etc) to be permanently overwritten and lost. Of course, i talk here just about the need of dumping, not about eventually sharing those dump (You can, if you want aha, but that wasn't the subject).

For the use subject, i think you will need to install the Dreamcast SDK. You can find them on the SDK page of emuparadise. I'm not a pro on this subject so others peoples can probably help you more, i know that some members here are waay more talented with those kits :)

Good luck,
March
Thank you. Yes, is my full intent to DUMP ASAP.

Reactions: SiZiOUS and tjd2

March42

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Thank you. Yes, is my full intent to DUMP ASAP.
Perfect :)

In case of need, don't hesitate to contact me in DM here or on discord (March_42#0352) if you need some help on the data recovery subject on those discs :) those units can be a goldmine in term of data for you.

Good luck into making those kits usable again !

Reactions: SiZiOUS

Springbok

Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
AGName
Springbok
AG Join Date
10/03/2020
Would any of you be able to tell me what the cheapest solution is replace the Seagate SCSI HD? Looking for the cheapest possible solution.

I know there are SCSI 2 SD solutions.

There are ones from this store

Then there is this $35 option on eBay. However it states it is for MacBook. Could it be used?

Thanks

PS: One last question. Any way to get rid of the annoying bats?

Gary Hamilton

Oct 20, 2020
AGName
Dreamcast
AG Join Date
07/17/2007
@Springbok - Pay close attention to the description of that $35 eBay listing. It's just for the adapter to make it work with a Powerbook. It doesn't include the SCSI2SD v5.5 adapter itself. As for the "PS", go to your user preferences and disable holiday stylings.

Springbok

Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
AGName
Springbok
AG Join Date
10/03/2020
Yeah.. I saw that. Sneaky listing. I decided to NOT get the SCSI 2 SD card. I figured I would just dump the drives then continue to use them. I figure the next owner can replace them if they fail. If they do fail before I sell them, then I will replace them.

Springbok

Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
AGName
Springbok
AG Join Date
10/03/2020
PS: These bats... please.. someone.. for the love of all things holy... tell me how to disable them.

Make a donation