Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PS1 Having fun with Mayumi V4

Vdks

Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
Hi everybody!

Just wanted to say hi to the community with my first two attempts at modding and fine soldering. I decided to mod my PS1 with Mayumi V4. I was inspired by Voultar on YouTube, and decided to try my hand at it and learn how to to do the really fine soldering.

You are all awesome, and I appreciate all the work you do with the older systems. It’s good that all the work of all the people that developed these systems when they were cutting edge is not lost in obscurity.

Here is my first attempt on my pu-18

9E244273-D39A-4E1A-8340-451AF131F244.jpeg

65417481-7A8D-45F7-A9E3-F8CF4F7CA0EF.jpeg

Now here is a PM-41 I did last night.

The PU-18 was so much fun, and so exhilarating to see the results of it all working. Programming the chip, soldering it to the break-out board, adding the cap for stability, and then soldering all the 30AWG wire into place. I guess I just totally geeked out!

I decided my second attempt at doing this would be another PS1. So I got a slim PSOne from goodwill and did it all again. I think the second run looks way better, but they both work great.

54AF2AE4-04CF-400E-BC50-4DF861490BEC.jpeg

168E990D-2DF9-47AD-B64E-8B3632167270.jpeg

0A8C87E9-CA79-4886-A333-E0D4D92A404F.jpeg

72B262AD-7319-46C6-8000-7587463FD6DD.jpeg

1FFD85C8-5A45-48AE-9BF1-37B6AF936FA0.jpeg

Any way, keep up the good work everybody!

FREE_WORLD

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
davesandell
AG Join Date
October 2nd 2012
Where did you find the break-out boards?
Did you buzz the points for the short-wire mods youself - or is there a stash of diagrams some place?
Somewhere (borrowed from AG) I have the plans for a quick solder board which is a really neat design - if you're interested?

Vdks

Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
I buzzed the points shown on the diagram and where they came to on that chip. Would be great to have the diagrams for the short wire but no, just me and a multi-meter. The 41 seemed to have different diagrams, so it was a little bit of a leap of faith. i’ll See if I can make some new diagrams for the pu-18 and the pm-41 I did.

The break out boards I got were just from amazon. Ada-fruit made them. There’s probably cheaper ones on eBay or Mouser or something. I added the cap for stability. While I was waiting for the gear to arrive, I read some threads that recommended that cap for if the drive starts acting erratically. I just decided to put it on the break out board first so I didn’t have to mess with it once it was all in.

A diagram for a quick solder board sounds awesome! Yeah i’m Interested :)

APE

Donator
Donator
May 30, 2019
I'd go over the joints with some flux but otherwise, nice wiring job.

FREE_WORLD

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
davesandell
AG Join Date
October 2nd 2012
If you should be interested I can put in for a batch to be produced - looking at around £1 each for a bare board....

Vdks

Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
I'd go over the joints with some flux but otherwise, nice wiring job.

Thanks! Yeah my joints could use some love. Just gotta keep practicing.

I have another PSOne coming, so i’ll have another go at that

Vdks

Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
The next thing i’m thinking about doing is adding toslink optical audio out to my SCPH-5501 (PU-18).

The An Multi Out to Hdmi cable I have seems to have some audio issues at certain points in some games. The intro to Castlevania is about the only place I can recreate the sound problem, but it makes me think I may be missing more. So I want another option.

I found a thread on assembler games that uses the Toshiba TC9231N to make a board that does this. It’s an old chip that Toshiba doesn’t make anything more, but it sounds like it gives the best results so far.

The ever amazing Trimesh (who is a fountain of knowledge for everything PS1) was indicated that this chip fits. Other threads i’ve read around the web seem to indicate that it gives the best results out of equivalent parts that people have tried.

Here’s the link to the thread on assembler:

Citrus3000psi designed this board, and it looks pretty sweet. The oshpark links are in the thread too.

Ordered the boards, and the tc9231n from eBay. Hopefully it’s genuine. Just getting the rest from mouser.

Maybe I can make a start on this one next weekend

Make a donation