Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Hello from a dork obsessed with all retro tech!

misha

Original poster
Registered
Dec 12, 2021
Hiya!

My name is Misha, and I'm a hardware/electronics enthusiast. My passion for (especially older) technology extends beyond the realm of video gaming (like A/V hardware, computers, etc.), but my first taste came from picking up a variety of consoles from years past. I love tinkering with and developing for older hardware. Anything goes for me, as long as the limitations and fun challenges are there!

My current console setup includes:
  • Nintendo Super Famicom (Japan)
  • Nintendo 64 (Japan)
  • Nintendo GameCube (USA)
  • Sony PlayStation (USA)
  • Sony PlayStation 2 (USA)
  • Sega Dreamcast (USA)
I hope to be someone at least mildly fun to talk to every now and then. It's nice to meet you!

hermesconrad

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Donator
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
€14.47
Hi misha, welcome, hope you enjoy the community

If you have discord, feel free to join our chat there as well.

Reactions: misha

ReindeerNomad

Registered
Oct 25, 2020
Welcome Misha!

I agree with your statement, the limitation breed the creativity. :) I love solve the problem with limited hardware. Do you do any of the development?

Your console list is very nice. :) Have fun playing them.

Agree too, join the Discord. Is fun!

misha

Original poster
Registered
Dec 12, 2021
Thank you both for the very warm welcome!

It's just a personal philosophy of mine, limitation breeding the greatest humans have ever come up with. Nowadays, It feels like everything can be brute-forced with how much power is in our pockets as it is, let alone what runs our laptops, desktops, and so on. I don't see the fun in working on a project that doesn't test my ability to squeeze something out of the hardware without going over any limits; I'm only one person, so I can't feasibly do that with any modern hardware by myself, but I figure older systems are smaller and constraining to the point where I have to keep myself reined in and keep my scope in check.

To answer your question, ReindeerNomad, most of my programming experience is in either C for software and the usual HTML/CSS/JS for web development, though I much prefer the former; feels a lot more meaningful and almost therapeutic. I haven't released much of anything I've worked on as it's always been learning experiences and thought experiments. I hope to change that soon, though!

Again, thanks for the welcome! I'll be sure to check out the Discord when I have a moment!