Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Hello from a dork obsessed with all retro tech!

misha

Original poster
Registered
Dec 12, 2021
Hiya!

My name is Misha, and I'm a hardware/electronics enthusiast. My passion for (especially older) technology extends beyond the realm of video gaming (like A/V hardware, computers, etc.), but my first taste came from picking up a variety of consoles from years past. I love tinkering with and developing for older hardware. Anything goes for me, as long as the limitations and fun challenges are there!

My current console setup includes:
  • Nintendo Super Famicom (Japan)
  • Nintendo 64 (Japan)
  • Nintendo GameCube (USA)
  • Sony PlayStation (USA)
  • Sony PlayStation 2 (USA)
  • Sega Dreamcast (USA)
I hope to be someone at least mildly fun to talk to every now and then. It's nice to meet you!

hermesconrad

Donator
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
Hi misha, welcome, hope you enjoy the community

If you have discord, feel free to join our chat there as well.

Reactions: misha

ReindeerNomad

Registered
Oct 25, 2020
Welcome Misha!

I agree with your statement, the limitation breed the creativity. :) I love solve the problem with limited hardware. Do you do any of the development?

Your console list is very nice. :) Have fun playing them.

Agree too, join the Discord. Is fun!

misha

Original poster
Registered
Dec 12, 2021
Thank you both for the very warm welcome!

It's just a personal philosophy of mine, limitation breeding the greatest humans have ever come up with. Nowadays, It feels like everything can be brute-forced with how much power is in our pockets as it is, let alone what runs our laptops, desktops, and so on. I don't see the fun in working on a project that doesn't test my ability to squeeze something out of the hardware without going over any limits; I'm only one person, so I can't feasibly do that with any modern hardware by myself, but I figure older systems are smaller and constraining to the point where I have to keep myself reined in and keep my scope in check.

To answer your question, ReindeerNomad, most of my programming experience is in either C for software and the usual HTML/CSS/JS for web development, though I much prefer the former; feels a lot more meaningful and almost therapeutic. I haven't released much of anything I've worked on as it's always been learning experiences and thought experiments. I hope to change that soon, though!

Again, thanks for the welcome! I'll be sure to check out the Discord when I have a moment!

Make a donation