Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

[Help] identify the ps2 modchip

kapa

Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Hi, i've found 3 broken ps2 (none of them are reading disks) and two of them are modded. One have the ghost 2 and the another i cant find any info about it.. Can someone help me identify this modchip?

Also, about the ghost 2, o didnt find a lot of info about it, can it boot on dev1?

Ghost 2:
IMG_20200214_093256.jpg

unknown:
IMG_20200214_084806.jpg

I want to recover all of them buying the laser and swap them and also get the must information posible about this mods.

Thanks!

Reactions: bytesaber

kapa

Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
What are the model numbers of these PS2s? The green PCB one looks like some sort of DMS3 chip.

EDIT: yup, the green one is a DMS3 Plus modchip. See https://www.psxcare.com/dms3pluskit-not-available
Thanks for the help! The dms 3 plus doesnt have dev Mode like matrix infinity? I've tried to load a elf (ulauncher) but without sucess.. And this is working on a console that i have with the matrix.. Also i've try to get in the configuration menu but without sucess.. I've tried L1, and the combo L1+l2+r1+r2 and did nothing.. Pressing /\ the console goes directly to the memory card menu..

The models that i've "found" on my attic are scph 30004, 30004r and 50004. The dms is installed on 30004 and the ghost on 50004.

Next month i'll try to buy the lasers for all of them.

Is your opinion is better to stay with these chips or install the clones (Mars pro or modbo)?

Last edited:

Bad_Ad84

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Bad_Ad84
AG Join Date
26/05/2011
The other one is a ghost 2. It's a good chip, no need to replace it.

*edit*
Sorry, you already knew that. I'll upload all the documentation I have for the ghost later.

Reactions: kapa

kapa

Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
The other one is a ghost 2. It's a good chip, no need to replace it.

*edit*
Sorry, you already knew that. I'll upload all the documentation I have for the ghost later.
Thanks anyway, but i have a doubt about the ghost... the ghost 2 have dev1/2?

supersega

Donator
Donator
Registered
Nov 25, 2019
AGName
supersega
AG Join Date
Jul 25, 2014
Thanks for the help! The dms 3 plus doesnt have dev Mode like matrix infinity? I've tried to load a elf (ulauncher) but without sucess.. And this is working on a console that i have with the matrix.. Also i've try to get in the configuration menu but without sucess.. I've tried L1, and the combo L1+l2+r1+r2 and did nothing.. Pressing /\ the console goes directly to the memory card menu..

The models that i've "found" on my attic are scph 30004, 30004r and 50004. The dms is installed on 30004 and the ghost on 50004.

Next month i'll try to buy the lasers for all of them.

Is your opinion is better to stay with these chips or install the clones (Mars pro or modbo)?

No problem! I am not sure what dev mode is, but doing some research, it looks like since G2s since firmware 1.2 have at least dev1 mode, no mention of dev2. The DMS3 apparently does have dev2 if it's on firmware (flash?) 1.8, but looks to natively have Dev1 if you use the uLaunchElf disc.

From psx-scene...

Download either disc image of uLaunchELF and burn it to the appropriate media. Insert in to the ps2 and boot it. This will allow you to enter a file browser. Once in the file browser, navigate to CDROM and enter it. Highlight BOOT.ELF and hit R1 and select copy. Now navigate to MC0 and hit R1. Select NEW FOLDER. Name the folder BOOT. Now go ahead and enter that folder. Now just hit R1 and select paste. Congratulations, you now have DEV1 setup to boot from.

See this document for the DMS3 operation; verify you are doing the right button presses. http://ps2.x-pec.com/dms3_operation.html

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the part about my opinion. My two cents say to keep them as-is if they do what you want them to do with the information I gave you. If not, it's only $10 and a morning of soldering to get a brand new Matrix modchip installed. Just depends on the amount of time you have!

kapa

Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
No problem! I am not sure what dev mode is, but doing some research, it looks like since G2s since firmware 1.2 have at least dev1 mode, no mention of dev2. The DMS3 apparently does have dev2 if it's on firmware (flash?) 1.8, but looks to natively have Dev1 if you use the uLaunchElf disc.

From psx-scene...

See this document for the DMS3 operation; verify you are doing the right button presses. http://ps2.x-pec.com/dms3_operation.html

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the part about my opinion. My two cents say to keep them as-is if they do what you want them to do with the information I gave you. If not, it's only $10 and a morning of soldering to get a brand new Matrix modchip installed. Just depends on the amount of time you have!
I prefer to keep original chips since that i've read the modbo are cheap clones with Hit or miss fw..

Do you think that i should try to upgrade the fw of both of them (dms and gh2)?

In ghost i didnt find any information about dev1.. Do you have any link like you have to dms?

Many thanks for the help!

supersega

Donator
Donator
Registered
Nov 25, 2019
AGName
supersega
AG Join Date
Jul 25, 2014
I prefer to keep original chips since that i've read the modbo are cheap clones with Hit or miss fw..

Do you think that i should try to upgrade the fw of both of them (dms and gh2)?

In ghost i didnt find any information about dev1.. Do you have any link like you have to dms?

Many thanks for the help!

Good plan. I think you may as well for the DMS3 Plus, it's an easy enough process (just burn a CD-R and follow onscreen instructions). Do note that you will need to flash the 2.3 release or higher to work with the DMS3 Plus. It also may fix whatever issue you are having with the chip not functioning as it is supposed to. Link to firmware; https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7774

For the Ghost2, I don't see any links to the firmware still active. Maybe BadAd's documentation will have information on how to do dev1 or dev2 on the chip?

Make a donation