Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Help needed with ps3 drive decryptor

sdobbie

Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Hi everyone, I am using the ps3 hdd decryptor mentioned in this forum but it always says that ps3.img is not found even though its right there in the folder with the program. The image is from a hard drive which the ps3 can't read anymore and it contains really precious memories from years ago which I really need to get back.

I am running it on windows 10 as adminUntitled.pngUntitled1.png

Tdijital

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 18, 2019
Donations
£11.00
AGName
Tdijital
AG Join Date
Apr 3, 2016
It looks like the error you're getting from hdd_decrypt may just be inaccurate. I tested and I get that error if what I'm passing as the encrypted HDD img isn't an encrypted HDD img. Are you sure that HDD img is encrypted? It's also possible some other error is being hit and you are getting that same fall back error message.

sdobbie

Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
It looks like the error you're getting from hdd_decrypt may just be inaccurate. I tested and I get that error if what I'm passing as the encrypted HDD img isn't an encrypted HDD img. Are you sure that HDD img is encrypted? It's also possible some other error is being hit and you are getting that same fall back error message.
It definitely is a hard drive image obtained from the PS3 drive using DD in Linux. Sadly, I had initialised the disk in Windows before I had learned that the PS3 encrypts the drives so maybe I have buggered the filesystem to an extent.

Tdijital

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 18, 2019
Donations
£11.00
AGName
Tdijital
AG Join Date
Apr 3, 2016
It definitely is a hard drive image obtained from the PS3 drive using DD in Linux. Sadly, I had initialised the disk in Windows before I had learned that the PS3 encrypts the drives so maybe I have buggered the filesystem to an extent.
Ah that could explain it. I’m guessing hdd_decrypt does some check to verify it’s a ps3 img before decrypting and if it doesn’t pass you get that error. Initializing the drive in Windows maybe changed something that causes it fail the check. Let me run this past someone that knows much better than me, they may know a way around this.

Tdijital

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 18, 2019
Donations
£11.00
AGName
Tdijital
AG Join Date
Apr 3, 2016
It should still be possible to decrypt it. It would just take a bit of custom work. Some tools for ps3 recovery are currently in the works. If you could share the hdd img that would be awesome. Depending on what exactly Windows does when it initializes a drive I’m hopeful we could work around the issues it causes.

mementomori

proto person
A9L Staff
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Donations
£7.46
AG Join Date
Jan 22, 2017
Initializing a drive in Windows pratically screws up the drive immensely making recovery much more difficult. It is very possible that a ton of stuff was lost from this. I hope any attempts that are made result in something being found but I have my doubts.

Doubles Advocate

Donator
Donator
Registered
Oct 27, 2019
AGName
Don't remember
AG Join Date
Some time after 2016 I think?
I can confirm that initializing the drive essentially makes it impossible, I had the same thing happen to me on an old DECHA00A of mine (thankfully it was almost unused so I doubt there was any data ever on it) .
It will also happen to drives that are formatted for the PS3 but are mismatched with the eid_root_key file.

Reactions: mementomori

Make a donation