Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Help with PS1 modchip

badman

Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
Hi,

so today I dug out my old PS1 for some retro fun (quarantine got me). I opened it up in order to clean it a bit and I noticed that one of the modchip wires got loose and it's no longer soldered. I googled in order to find a soldering diagram for the chip and the board but I was not able to find anything. The closest thing I found is a MM3 soldering diagram but the solder points are not the same. I also don't recognize the chip at all. Does anyone know what kind of a modchip this is and where should I solder the loose wire? This is a SCPH-9002 PS1 and a PU23 board (pics are below). Thank you for your help.

Anakin94

Feb 12, 2020
AGName
Anakin94
AG Join Date
August 1, 2018
This looks like a classic old crow mod.
I can't find a diagram that looks like this, but it could be that the guy who installed it, used alternative points.
The linkwire looks wrong to me.
Pin 1 is 3,5V and Pin 8 is GND.
You can check it with a multimeter.
Pin 6 is the data wire which is missing.

PSX9000.JPG

badman

Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
This looks like a classic old crow mod.
I can't find a diagram that looks like this, but it could be that the guy who installed it, used alternative points.
The linkwire looks wrong to me.
Pin 1 is 3,5V and Pin 8 is GND.
You can check it with a multimeter.
Pin 6 is the data wire which is missing.

View attachment 6665
Thanks, that is the most similar diagram I found on google as well. Could be a old crow easily, this was what I suspected as well, since it was installed some 20-ish years ago, when the console was brand new. As my dad said, straight from the shop to the modders basement. I will use the multimeter as you said and try to re-solder following the diagram. Just one more thing, is there any way to damage the console if that's not a old crow mod and I solder it as one?

Mord.Fustang

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
90024wire.jpg

Here's another similar diagram. Pins 1 & 8 are power & ground and could be sourced from many different areas. X is in a nearby spot though and doesn't match yours.

This is my best guess as to what you have:

afMEiH5.jpg

From experience, my guess is that you would not permanently damage your board if you incorrectly soldered it and then removed it. Not responsible if you try it and that fails though so try at your own risk, lol. If you're going to go through the effort of reinstalling that chip, you may as well install a more modern chip, but that's your call.

badman

Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
From experience, my guess is that you would not permanently damage your board if you incorrectly soldered it and then removed it. Not responsible if you try it and that fails though so try at your own risk, lol. If you're going to go through the effort of reinstalling that chip, you may as well install a more modern chip, but that's your call.

Thanks for your help. I was going to replace it with a MM3 anyway, I ordered one online but it will take a month or so for it to arrive, so I'll try to install this one just out of my own curiosity. It worked fine for 20-ish years, so I guess it will work for a month more.

Make a donation