Heroes of Might and Magic III Dreamcast unreleased community fundraiser

MetalliC

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
MetalliC
AG Join Date
I have seen dreamshell produce bad dumps before
its just designed this way - if some sector is unreadable DS dumper will (IIRC silent) ignore/skip it.
so, IMO, it is better try to use httpd-ack or SD-Rip instead if possible.

Reactions: darcagn

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
its just designed this way - if some sector is unreadable DS dumper will (IIRC silent) ignore/skip it.
so, IMO, it is better try to use httpd-ack or SD-Rip instead if possible.

You can see bad sectors in the dreamshell console, and you can set it to alert instead of skip.

But the bigger problem using Dreamshell for data recovery is (as far as I know?) no option for raw (2352 sector) dumping.
In my experience doing data recovery on GD-ROMs and GD-Rs, if you dump multiple times on different consoles, with every pass, you have success on some sectors and not on others -- different sectors each pass. If you have a disc that is heavily scratched, you can dump the disc, polish the disc, dump it, polish again, over and over, saving each dump as you go along, and if you're making raw dumps, you can use software to easily detect which sectors are bad in each dump, and then merge the good sectors from each dump together to form a good dump, a strategy I used in my frame gride GD-R recovery last year. Doing this with ISO files is more difficult since you don't have checksum info to rely on

But if you can get the same hashes on the dumps on every pass you dump, @FatalistDC, your dump should be good

Reactions: Wombat and fafadou

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
One can compare two images that way, but if there are bad sectors in common in both images, we won't know by comparison. We'd only know if we watched the dreamshell console and logged the sector error messages and noted which errors they had in common. If we dump a scratched rare/expensive/valuable disc 100 times and then merged all 100 dumps selecting for non-zero sectors, the only way to know which sectors may still be bad is to either sit there and log all errors for all 100 dumps and notate which sectors they all had in common. Or manually search for zero blocks and manually determine which are intentionally zero blocks and which are erroneous zero blocks.

If we have a raw dump with ecc data, we always know which sectors are good and which are bad. It might be useless garbage data for distribution, but valuable for recovery

Reactions: FamilyGuy

FatalistDC

Original poster
Registered
Mar 1, 2020
www.youtube.com
AGName
Fatalist
AG Join Date
17-03-2004
Hi,

I have uploaded a video to my YouTube channel, captured from the GD-R. Here it is!

The GD-R has scratches (they were already when the original owner got it) but as I said nothing too serious. The GD-R dumped with Dreamshell GD Ripper default options: Skip bad sectors unchecked, 10 attempts of reading bad sectors.

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
Enough is enough;

9e9.gif

o_O

GamePreservationist

Mar 8, 2020
datwolfkiba.wordpress.com
Hey, I run the subreddit r/GamePreservationists. We've been up and running for 3 days now and we've got 32 members. Would you like to post about this on the sub? If so, do you have an official statement or fundrasing link?
I'll post in your name if you'd like?

Reactions: FatalistDC

fafadou

Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
What do you think about his video ? How the game looks complete ?

Druid II

Registered
Jun 5, 2019
Looks interesting, though the slowness is really off putting and the reworked UI loses a lot of the games charm. They could've just resized the assets to account for the lower resolution....

Still, Heroes 3 is one of the greatest games ever made. I'm only hoping that this version had the audio data in some kind of ADX format sampled from the original masters, so we can get the games soundtrack in higher format than the 128k MP3s in the PC version.

Reactions: fafadou and Wombat

FatalistDC

Original poster
Registered
Mar 1, 2020
www.youtube.com
AGName
Fatalist
AG Join Date
17-03-2004
Hey, I run the subreddit r/GamePreservationists. We've been up and running for 3 days now and we've got 32 members. Would you like to post about this on the sub? If so, do you have an official statement or fundrasing link?
I'll post in your name if you'd like?
Hi, thanks I'll look the subreddit! I'm going to check a fundraiser platform it has been suggested to me.

FatalistDC

Original poster
Registered
Mar 1, 2020
www.youtube.com
AGName
Fatalist
AG Join Date
17-03-2004
Hi, I'm Tom - I run www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk (thanks to Jan for linking me to this forum thread). I'd like to help spread the awareness of this fundraiser - do we know when it will be live?

Hi Tom,

Jan proposes gofundme.com and I'll take a good look at how the platform works and its conditions.

Reactions: Tomleecee

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Well this certainly looks mostly feature complete. Nice video.

As this is a Windows CE game, there exists a strong possibility to patch in some missing parts from the PC version if it gets to that point. I wish the source code was available for this, but next best thing would be modding in stuff from the PC version if possible. As we all know, thbose Windows CE ports are very close to the way the PC counterparts were file and format wise. Half-Life and 4X4 Evo are very modable.

Druid II

Registered
Jun 5, 2019
If the game uses the same data files as the PC version then it will be dirt simple to modify for more content (for ex. the normal UI scaled down to 640x480 or the content from the expansion discs), since the data files basically hold a bunch of 8-bit bitmaps and text files detailing where to place what graphic element.

Getting around the game crash issues may be more challenging, but note that vanilla HOMM3 on PC already had a bunch of those, many that were left unfixed until the HD Mod came along.

fafadou

Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
Yes, like often the 0WINCEOS.BIN will be the difficult things to patch.

Some months ago, I tried to patch the railroad tycoon II in order to have vga with french version. And I take the US version of 0WINCEOS.BIN, there were very different, but most worried, assembler in winceos.bin seems to be very different to sega OS 1ST_READ.BIN.
I can patched the VWF for french text, but the game crash at the end of levels...

Hope the .bin are very close to a perfect version.

Reactions: Anthony817

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
yes wince and a windows game can be compatible to a lot of parts. ive fixed the cursors in dc half-life blue shift game by injecting them from pc version. but this game have crashes on videos and other stuff. fixing those issues is gona be pain, owinceos.bin would need fixing too

Reactions: Anthony817

Make a donation