Anakin94

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
AGName
Anakin94
AG Join Date
August 1, 2018
Hi community,
I'm Anakin94 and i like Beta versions and i'm a big fan of Destruction Derby 2.
What i also like is Retro PC's, Retro Consoles (PS1 and PS2), Console modding, PS1 Demo's, old videogames, blank CD-R's with 74 min/650 MiB, Audio-Mastering, Metal Music like Powerman 5000 and Rammstein, Movies like Star Wars (Not from Disney), Bud Spencer and Terence Hill, Harry Potter (I really like the first 2 Chris Columbus Movies) and many more, RC-Cars, 90's and early 2000's Lego.

:)

Goemon

Registered
Feb 15, 2020
AGName
Goemon
AG Join Date
Bud Spencer and Terence Hill (y):cool:

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Welcome Ani!

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I take it from your avatar that you’re into 3dfx. I am too. I currently have a Voodoo 3 3000, which is a card I got brand new like 20-21 years ago and somehow managed to keep all this time. I’m also kind of interested in CD-Rs, mostly because I use them for things like my retro PC and PC Engine. I recently got some Fujifilm CD-Rs that were manufactured by Taiyo Yuden. Lately I’ve also been collecting PC games from thrift stores and eBay.

By the way, since you mentioned retro PCs, here are my PC’s specs:
Custom Sony Vaio PCV-RZ26G
Pentium 4 3.06GHz
P4S533-VL MB
512MB DDR-333
Voodoo 3 3000
Matrox m3D
Sound Blaster Live!
WD 160GB HDD
Sony DVD-RW drive
Matsushita DVD drive
Floppy drive
Windows 98 SE

How about you?

• Love
Reactions: Anakin94

Anakin94

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
AGName
Anakin94
AG Join Date
August 1, 2018
@la-li-lu-le-lo
Taiyo Yuden CD-R's are the perfect blanks disc's, but i can also recommend the old dark blue Verbatim Super AZO CD-R's.
Cool that you still have your old Voodoo 3 video card.
It's an interesting build and awesome that you got a Matrox m3D.
I know 3Dfx since my childhood when i was 3 or 4 years old.
I remember when my dad says something of 3Dfx patches, that the games will looking better... ;)
Later when i got older, i understand why and learned alot more about Retro hardware.

That's my Retro machine build with used parts from ebay and forums:
MB : MSI MS-6309 OEM (Flashed Retail BIOS)
CPU: Pentium III 933 @466 MHz
RAM: 128MB SD-RAM 133 MHz @66 MHz
GPU: Matrox Millennium 2 AGP 4 MB (Really great picture quality)
3D : Gainward 3Dfx Voodoo² 12 MB
SOUND : Sound Blaster 16 Pro CQM CT2950 ISA
NET : Realtek RTL8029AS
HDD : IBM 40GB IDE
CDD : Mitsumi FX480 Quad Speed IDE
CDBurner : HP CD-Writer Plus 7200i IDE
FDD : OEM
NT : 200 W OEM

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Cool that you still have your old Voodoo 3 video card.
It's an interesting build and awesome that you got a Matrox m3D.

A lot of that system was just down to what I was able to find. The Voodoo 3, SB Live! and HDD I’ve had for a long time. I wanted the system to be Pentium III-based, kind of like your system, but I wasn’t able to find a P3 system. However, when I was at this computer store, I found this Sony Vaio - and although it’s P4-based, I really loved the way it looks, and decided to get it. It was pretty cheap. It turns out the system works just fine with Win 98 and all of my hardware. The system is pretty awesome overall, and it does everything I want it to.

The m3D I got on eBay. It came complete with the original box and discs. I’ve heard that it used to be possible to get these for really cheap, but not now. I thought what I paid for it seemed like kind of a lot, but I think the prices have gone up even higher now. It’s a pretty cool card.

I posted a picture of the Vaio in my collection thread (I’ve since removed some of the stickers): https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/la-li-lu-le-los-collection-and-setup.542/#post-4240

Speaking of retro PC gaming, lately I’ve been playing Riven on that system. It’s not a game that really makes good use of my hardware, but it’s still a really good game, and I like it a lot. I think I’m getting close to the end now.

Last edited:
  • Love

Anakin94

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
AGName
Anakin94
AG Join Date
August 1, 2018
Yes the Vaio case looks cool. ;)
The Pentium 4 is a bit overpowered, but ok that you don't have problems with Win98.
Firstly i used Windows 95, but i changed to Windows 98 SE for the USB Gamepad support.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Yes the Vaio case looks cool. ;)
The Pentium 4 is a bit overpowered, but ok that you don't have problems with Win98.
Firstly i used Windows 95, but i changed to Windows 98 SE for the USB Gamepad support.

It's overpowered for sure, but that has some benefits and generally doesn't cause issues. There are 2 games I know of that run too fast because of the CPU - one of them can be made to run properly using a CPU slowing program. The other one I haven't been able to get to run at a normal speed - I can get it to run slower if I use the m3D rather than the Voodoo 3, but then it runs too slow. It's not a game that really matters that much to me, so it's not a big deal. Overall, this system has really good compatibility with 90s Windows games - especially 3D games, which is the main thing I built this PC for. It even handles most DOS games just fine.

Something interesting about my PC: the motherboard and CPU ("Northwood") combination are supposedly one of the last and most powerful that allow for the SB Live!'s SB16 emulation. This is kind of important to me, because the SB Live! seems like a good overall card since it's good for late-90s PC games, but still retains DOS compatibility. The Vaio also has a built-in Yamaha AC-XG, but I've been using the SB Live! because (and correct me if I'm wrong) the AC-XG isn't as good for DOS games. I've also heard that the SB16 emulation of the SB Live! varies a lot between different revisions of the card, but mine apparently is one of the good ones.

dyer60

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Welcome! Fellow Lego enthusiast here.

Man some of those specs on your PC bring back memorises.

Nice to have you around.

Make a donation