Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
I've been active since 2007 on AG, mainly in the Dreamcast subforums.

I have great interest in the GD-Rom/GDI format, mainly GD-R ripping, and I found my niche by creating tools to help the creation of selfboots.
If you've played with DC BETA selfboots in the last few years, I was probably involved one way or another. I was also involved in the popularisation of the SD-Card serial adapter.

Here are my main tools you might be aware of, or looking for. Some were written when I though that C++ was a grade and Python a kind of snake, so don't judge me too harshly on the code quality, but it should all still work :

• GDITools: Python library to handle GDI files. Mostly useful to extract files from GDI with the IP.BIN and its sorttxt.txt file.
    Includes GDIShrink, which prunes padding from GDI files to compress them with high compatibility with GDEMU (I'd say that ~98% games work).

• Selfboot pack: To assemble files into a 45000LBA DATA/DATA selfboot. Creates a NRG file that you should mount with daemon tools and rip as a CDI. Doesn't handle copy protections (LBA hacks unrequired). An assortment of batch files and tools.

• Binhack32/64: Opensource clone of binhack, writen in C++, that should work on any platform/OS. Original binhack is 16bit and as such doesn't work on 64bit Windows. Credits to @SiZiOUS for the code cleanup.

• Binhacks: A python library of hacks for DC binaries. Interesting as a documentation I think. The code would benefit from a cleanup.

• GD-R Ripping guide: A collaboration with Dot50Cal from AG. A guide to rip a GD-R using a BBA and a swap trick. Could be adapted for Coder's Cable and SD-Card I believe. My first contribution to Assembler games and the reason I made an account.

I am very sad to see AG go, but if this community can be, in the future, as mature and knowledgeable as AG has been, then my pain would be alleviated.

Cheers!

Last edited:

karsten

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
karsten
AG Join Date
Mar 4, 2014
Great to have you here, i'm sure these resources will be useful, and if all goes as planned may became a great article for a future news archive/frontpage

Welcome to ObscureGamers FamilyGuy!

You have written some amazing tools over the years that's helped the community big time. Hoping to see more soon! :)

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
Talking about Dreamcast without you lingering on the forums is just not the same, glad you made it overhere @FamilyGuy

Reactions: FamilyGuy

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
Great to have you here, i'm sure these resources will be useful, and if all goes as planned may became a great article for a future news archive/frontpage
I could write a few articles on those tools or GD-R(om) ripping/selfbooting if need be.

Reactions: karsten

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Wouldn't be the same community without you.

Reactions: FamilyGuy

Make a donation