Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast Homemade Dreamcast Debug Unit

• Thread starter Deleted member 211
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 211

Original poster
I posted this on Assembler over 10 years ago. I wanted to repost it here since I still get messages and emails thanking me for this. I wanted to preserve it here. If that isn't allowed, please delete.

I wanted a way to read my GD-Rs without all the hassle of opening my dreamcast up and doing all that fun stuff every time I wanted to play a GD-R. Here I will show you how to make your very own "Homemade Dreamcast Debug Unit". Now this isn't going to be anything like a "real" debug unit, but you will get the idea. This is the swap trick integrated with some switches and handy work.

This mod disconnects the battery from the dreamcast and resets it. Also, it will disconnect power from the drive motor for safe removal of the disc.

You can see how the unit will operate after this mod is complete.

Link to video

Remove the controller board from the dreamcast
[IMG]

Unsolder on of the leg joints that holds the battery in place.
[IMG]

Now, solder a piece of wire to the leg and the board
[IMG]

Using a paperclip, cut it where it will fit on the drive henge where it is pulled down.

[IMG]

Trace the wires from the drive motor and cut the wires, and solder the wire to wire connected to the switch.
[IMG]

Drill two holes on your lid so we can mount the switches.
[IMG]

Your done, it should look something like this,

[IMG]

To use this mod, disconnect the power of the dreamcast, and press the switch that disconnect the battery power. Insert a retail game that is the same region of your dreamcast. Boot up your dreamcast when you get to the clock settings press the drive motor switch for a few seconds. The disc should be slowing down. At that point it should be safe to stop the disc. Insert your GD-R and press the select button the the screen. Your GD-R should now boot as normal.

D

Deleted member 211

Original poster
No problem! My dad and I had a fun time with this project!

Reactions: DeChief

Chaotic Mind

AG Refugee Retro Brony
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
sonicdude10
AG Join Date
Jan 17, 2012
I may borrow this as I help run a massive DC group and we are getting into hardware dev now. A debug unit might be useful for some of our plans.

DeChief

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
DeChief, Durandal
AG Join Date
Sometime in 2014?
Awesome mod dude!

Spaceman

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Oct 18, 2018
AG Join Date
Jul 11, 2017
Stellar work, it's stuff like this that needs saving, to help keep these older consoles going for many more years of enjoyment. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us here. (y)

danhans42

Love PSX :-D
Registered
May 31, 2019
psx0.wordpress.com
AGName
danhans115
AG Join Date
15th September, 2007
I remember doing this mod not long after the DC came out in the UK.. the forum I saw it on I cannot remember. The difference was that I used a dual switch, so it also cut the cd lid signal on the opposite. You could go into the menu and wait for a minute and the disc would stop. I used to use this to play the cheap imports that computer exchange used to sell.

I then sold the DC and returned a while later and everyone was doing the echelon thing and then selfbooting.

Cool guide

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
Nice modification you did there @fusion, this is definitely the next best thing for those not having acces to a System Disc 2.

I may borrow this as I help run a massive DC group and we are getting into hardware dev now. A debug unit might be useful for some of our plans.
Unless your group has a load of GD-recordable discs laying around that you want to play, performing this modification won't help you much. This is 'merely' a system that makes performing the swap-trick with a flick of a button. If you want to develop, BBA is the way to go. If you want to play or dump GD-R's the easy way, get a System Disc 2 and a BBA. And of course, if you can get your hands on an actual dev kit.... thats a whole other story ;)

Chaotic Mind

AG Refugee Retro Brony
Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
sonicdude10
AG Join Date
Jan 17, 2012
I found one on auction that is listed as "parts" due to the owner not knowing how to use it. Currently at around $650 USD with 7 hours to go.

Make a donation