Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

How do you error check an XBox 360 hard drive?

J-Doran1968

Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
AGName
Conker2012
AG Join Date
19th October 2012
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but it's the closest I can think of for my question.

I think that my XBox's 360 hard drive might have an error, and I was surprised to find that (as far as I can tell) the XBox 360 doesn't have a scan-disk type feature. Google shows some people advising that you remove the hard drive from the 360, connect it to your PC, and run a given third party program to check the hard drive. But from what I can see, these programs don't natively understand the XBox 360 hard drive format, and will instead just scan, and potentially fix and errors, the drive at a hardware level. My worry is that since these programs don't natively understand the XBox 360 format, then if such a program finds an error on the hard drive, or perhaps even if the program wrongly sees part of the 360's drive layout as being 'wrong', then the program will alter the data on the hard drive in such a way as to make the drive unreadable to the XBox 360. It's a 500GB hard drive, with many games on, plus save-games and some DLC and indie games, and I really don't want to lose any data, or to be forced to reformat the hard drive and start re-installing everthing again.

BTW, my 360 isn't modded, so I don't think I could run any native XBox 360 homebrew programs on there, even if someone has written a scan-disc style program that runs on the XBox 360.

Thanks for any answers.

s8n

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
s8n
AG Join Date
hi JD , i took a small amount of time today and removed one of my 360 drives from it's official caddy/housing. I then placed it in a USB Enclosure and hooked it up to my PC. I then ran CrystalDiskInfo and the values aren't there , i have tried this with a PS3 hard drive with success S.M.A.R.T reports many values and i did find a defective drive.

i tried to help but my method may not be the way to go , one suggestion is you can backup your 360 drive with tools that run on PC. After that format the drive to PC standards and see what CrystalDiskInfo says about the drive. If all is good transfer your data back to the hard drive.

just a suggestion , there may be better alternatives out there

DEAN

Make a donation