Here are some links you may find helpful

How NOT to pack rare hardware and games :(

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

Almost had a working Hikaru and Planet Harriers...almost :(

So as opposed to enjoying the fun gameplay, I made this instead ; a PSA about trash packaging lol

It’s a semi parody, but also a real video about how to NOT pack hardware, and how to pack it correctly

Reactions: MrMario2011

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
guy changed his mind at the last minute, im sure it was just pcb and paper, but he figured it needed a box around it all

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
It looks like how they pack shoes, except considerably worse.

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
the packaging itself is ok, it just needed the mainboard wrapped in bubble wrap, and the daughterboard(s) removed and wrapped up too, separately. that should have been enough... :eek:

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
If they had bubble wrapped every pcb separately it may have had a shot. Put a pile of loose boards? oof

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I played Planet Harriers once at a movie theater. I thought it was pretty good, although I didn't get to play it that much.

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
I’ve always wanted it for my collection. Guess I’ll have to keep hunting. Haven’t been able to find it locally. Chicago is big but the arcade collectors scene seems small. It’s just all arcade bars with the same ten games, and “Galloping Ghost” out in the burbs

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Did you get a full refund? Sent the useless stuff back to him with a thanks?

Full refund. I then packed everything CORRECTLY and sent it back to them lol. Didn’t want to get accused of breaking something in return so I went heavy af on the packaging. Like it should have been in the first place

esprade

Registered
Sep 7, 2019
AG Join Date
April 25th 2011
Sometimes I think you're just getting ripped off because it's already broken and people ship it improperly for the "damaged in transit" excuse.

Tyree_Cooper

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.youtube.com
AGName
Tyree_Cooper
AG Join Date
Jun 29, 2009
I bought an expensive laser disc many years ago from Yahoo Japan, when I unpacked I found out the laser disc was cracked from edge to edge. The cover and leaflets were totally fine, so this was 100% not done during shipping, otherwise they would have been badly bend or even torn.......... I still want to cry thinking about it. I was a student back then and the item had cost me 120+ $

So yeah, it's possible it was already broken, but from the video I'd say it was done in shipping. Do I see loose heatsinks?? that's like freshly broken off

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
I bought an expensive laser disc many years ago from Yahoo Japan, when I unpacked I found out the laser disc was cracked from edge to edge. The cover and leaflets were totally fine, so this was 100% not done during shipping, otherwise they would have been badly bend or even torn.......... I still want to cry thinking about it. I was a student back then and the item had cost me 120+ $

So yeah, it's possible it was already broken, but from the video I'd say it was done in shipping. Do I see loose heatsinks?? that's like freshly broken off

Loose heat sync and processor. One of the BGA chips had come off the mobo. Unfortunately reballing is one skill I haven't learned yet and I wasn't about to keep a $300 game as my test case for learning that skill

Tomspy77

Oct 23, 2019
There is an eBay seller who sometimes has (common but desired) games that go for higher cheap but no one buys them as they are stock pics despite the condition being listed as 'very good' etc.

I love them, missed out on FF7 for about four dollars shipped but did get FF8 GH for around five, complete...lovely, but the way he ships these in just a bubble mailer means although I got a deal I now need a new case as it cracked in transit but it usually goes for about ten dollars more so...

However, the idiot who once shoved a PSP Memory Stick in a regular envelope, the same way a guy just sent me a loose copy of Rayman 3D, is just idiotic as is the packing in the OP.

You'd think they would care, esp when you pay good money, which I am sure you did for a PCB board.

MetalliC

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
MetalliC
AG Join Date
Full refund. I then packed everything CORRECTLY and sent it back to them lol. Didn’t want to get accused of breaking something in return so I went heavy af on the packaging. Like it should have been in the first place
the truth is - you can't "correctly" pack Hikaru PCB. there is still chances more BGAs will fall off during shipping. for example because of vibration, and no - bubble wrap will not help in this case.

the real cause of all Hikaru problems is Sega's manufacturing process. for unknown reason Sega used NO tinning during BGA soldering, and the solder BGA balls connected to raw (not tinned) copper pads = BGAs may falloff due to single fart on it.
Hikaru PCBs require quite gently shipping (no box throws or hard vibration) to get to destination in one piece.

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
the truth is - you can't "correctly" pack Hikaru PCB. there is still chances more BGAs will fall off during shipping. for example because of vibration, and no - bubble wrap will not help in this case.

the real cause of all Hikaru problems is Sega's manufacturing process. for unknown reason Sega used NO tinning during BGA soldering, and the solder BGA balls connected to raw (not tinned) copper pads = BGAs may falloff due to single fart on it.
Hikaru PCBs require quite gently shipping (no box throws or hard vibration) to get to destination in one piece.

Yes they are fragile, but when they get packed like trash they have less than zero chance of arriving undamaged haha

Part of me wishes I could have kept it and tried to get a stencil and solder balls to reball it, but the seller was either "keep for full price or send back for full refund" so I had no options

esprade

Registered
Sep 7, 2019
AG Join Date
April 25th 2011
I always instruct the seller on how to pack the item anyway, in some manner.

speedyink

Registered
May 31, 2019
I always instruct the seller on how to pack the item anyway, in some manner.

Lol, I did that recently with an old Panasonic CT-101. Plastic is known to be very brittle on them and they are hard af to find in general. The person took it to heart though, holy shit it was packed awesome.

MrMario2011

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
Really disappointing, I've had a few consoles shipped to be (purchased working or broken) that are thrown into a box with no packaging. The times I've called this out I got some excuse of "oh, it was packed much better, but that must have all gotten damaged and fallen out and then repackaged improperly in transit!!!! soooooo sorry." A few that come to mind...

- PS1: Broken, console only, just tossed into a box and shipped out. The seller insisted it was packed much better with material, I don't believe that. Selling a broken product is not an excuse to ship it improperly!!! I later revisited this console and found out it was premodded, but the laser assembly was a bit broken. My lazy method of repair was replacing the laser assembly from another broken PS1 I had on hand. All worked just fine after that!

- Xbox: Cables, console, and controllers just tossed into a box. Was really annoyed at this as I bought it in working condition and did pay a premium for it due to a modchip it had in it. The console itself was also in much rougher shape than the seller led me to believe with one of the LEDs not working, grime all over the console, several other issues. The system still worked and we worked out a partial refund as the seller couldn't decide if he forgot to toss in a second controller or if it was swiped when it was "repackaged" in transit. I'll get around to ripping it all apart and refurbishing it one of these days...

- Xbox 360: Console motherboard in the chassis, matching DVD drive daughterboard tossed in, all thrown into a medium sized flat rate USPS box. I only paid shipping for this item from the seller as it was a donation, I was personally SHOCKED it all worked! Was able to rebuild the system and modify it with no issues, surprisingly.

Make a donation