Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

I'm amazed PS3 Emulation even works at all.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
With this very fishy unconfirmed Rumor

I decided to give RPCS3 a go. No games I don't already own. The performance I'm getting is impressive. Ridge Racer 7 looks great, MK9, Caladarus Blaze and Ketsui all look and preform well. I'm impressed simply because of the Programing Rubick's cube the PS3 was.

I'm not on a weak system mind you. I'm on a laptop with a Ryzen 9 3900 and an RTX 2070. It runs PS3 with no effort the fans aren't even going hard when I run it.

But still just the fact it's even a thing. Couple that with how good PS2 Emulation is and what's been done with PS1 I have to ask

What's Sony's Excuse?

Reactions: Arcadia

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Sony wants you to buy new copies every time(not that digital versions wouldn't still get them easy cash), and the investment to emulate it may seem too steep a price. It is doable but we have had the community making 360 and PS3 emulators for years now at this point. Sure maybe Sony could make a better one since they know the architecture inside and out, but the community has done it all for free and for the passion of it. Jailbroke PS4 seems the way to go if you want this sort of thing on the console, or buying a nice new Xbox Series S/X with dev mode unlocked. That can emulate anything out there. So it is not like you don't have options for it already possible in the future. I do like emulating consoles on other consoles sine already pretty much set up, or used to be before RetroArch came along and complicated things.

That being said, I do hope that people work to get out a PSN alternative that you don't have to use tunneling software just to play system link games over the net. Hopefully people have been capturing packets for the inevitable future when all services are shut down for the system. With the OG Xbox getting Live brought back online by the community very soon, hopefully this sort of thing happens on PS3 as well. Even the Dreamcast has almost all western game releases that had online multiplayer revived, so I hope it happens and people are taking notes before too late.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I'm trying to preserve my Playstation 3 stuff as best I can. I've hit a snag with digital games. MOST of them I've found in other forms.

I hate what Sony is turning into. Microsoft has been on the right track with ensuring us that if we have a game on an XBOX of any kind we can play it. It doesn't look like Microsoft is following suit with Sony on XBOX live either. I just hope they make more 360 and OG stuff Backward compatible.

I've made a soft shift to PC. But in Denuvo situations (OH YEAH Sony's shoving that garbage on PS5 too) I'm going to have a Series X handy. Even Nintendo is doing a better preservation job than Sony is. Even if it involves selling us the game games endlessly.

Majima

Jun 9, 2019
I soft-modded my PS3 about a year or two as it stopped reading discs so its no issue for me to 'get' psn stuff if worst comes to the worst

but man how i wish the PS5 could play PS3 games too, they'd have less of a reason to shut it down then and i have a good 50 or so games on disc just collecting dust

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I bought Raiden IV Overdrive on Steam and that shit did not want to display properly in 1080P But I have a perfectly legally purchased PS3 version I'd love to pop in RPCS3 and play that way. I have no idea how to pull it off the console and get it to work in the Emulator or if I even can.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I bought Raiden IV Overdrive on Steam and that shit did not want to display properly in 1080P But I have a perfectly legally purchased PS3 version I'd love to pop in RPCS3 and play that way. I have no idea how to pull it off the console and get it to work in the Emulator or if I even can.

You should be able to find it online. Since you own it, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "did not want to display properly"? What was wrong with it specifically?

By the way, some people are now speculating that Sony might add PS3/PS2/PS1 BC on the PS5 with a future update, but personally I think the evidence for this idea is pretty flimsy. It doesn't matter much to me, because I have every PS system from 1 to 5 (except 4) set up and easily accessible (the only reason I don't have 4 set up is because 5 can play all of its games). I don't really play my PS3 much anymore though, I guess because there aren't that many PS3-exclusive games that I want to play on a regular basis. I did manage to get a PS3 PSN game before it was taken down - GTI Club+. I have HOT4 and a couple others too - I'd definitely recommend getting that one before they shut down the PS3 store, if you have a PS3.

I'll add that of all of my PS systems, I've been playing my PS1 the most lately. I've got some really cool Japanese games for it, like Kaitei Daisensou and Fighters Impact. Those games look amazing in RGB. I also now have the ability to play PS2 games in RGB at 480p, which is pretty cool - I wish there were more games that supported that mode.

Last edited:

DBloke

Registered
Sep 18, 2020
www.thenightsofgaming.com
AGName
DBloke
Its weird, if Sony did full backwards compatibility with every system for PS5 that would be awesome, but I can kinda see why they dont, they dont make money from disc sales of those games, so bung it on the store for a few quid instead
I soft-modded my PS3 about a year or two as it stopped reading discs so its no issue for me to 'get' psn stuff if worst comes to the worst

but man how i wish the PS5 could play PS3 games too, they'd have less of a reason to shut it down then and i have a good 50 or so games on disc just collecting dust
Softmodded PS3's are great, mine dont read discs anymore as well, its a bit weird how big some of the games are, still need to figure out how to get some files with "License issues" to work

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Microsoft figured it out. They sell the BC games on their storefront but if you have the disc pop it in.
I've actually bought a ton of games because of that because finding the discs is a pain.
That's all Sony needs to do.

I Just wish Microsoft would stop dicking around and make JSRF BC

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
You should be able to find it online. Since you own it, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "did not want to display properly"? What was wrong with it specifically?

By the way, some people are now speculating that Sony might add PS3/PS2/PS1 BC on the PS5 with a future update, but personally I think the evidence for this idea is pretty flimsy. It doesn't matter much to me, because I have every PS system from 1 to 5 (except 4) set up and easily accessible (the only reason I don't have 4 set up is because 5 can play all of its games). I don't really play my PS3 much anymore though, I guess because there aren't that many PS3-exclusive games that I want to play on a regular basis. I did manage to get a PS3 PSN game before it was taken down - GTI Club+. I have HOT4 and a couple others too - I'd definitely recommend getting that one before they shut down the PS3 store, if you have a PS3.

I'll add that of all of my PS systems, I've been playing my PS1 the most lately. I've got some really cool Japanese games for it, like Kaitei Daisensou and Fighters Impact. Those games look amazing in RGB. I also now have the ability to play PS2 games in RGB at 480p, which is pretty cool - I wish there were more games that supported that mode.

Stupid double posting...

anyway Raiden IV when I set it to 1080P the screen cropped so only 1/4th of the actual screen was showing. I had simular problems with Raiden III not going full screen and Caladarius Blaze being really, REALLY Blurry. Raiden III and Caladarius run better Emulated than they do running natively on PC.

And Yeah my preferred Playstation is Japanese PS1 and PS2. I'm always finding out about some game that flew under my radar.

Update and it was an absolute PAIN so if anybody knows how to yank games off a PS3 let me know.

164578347_10158979667891138_2180783939793486255_o.jpg

Last edited:

DBloke

Registered
Sep 18, 2020
AGName
DBloke
Microsoft figured it out. They sell the BC games on their storefront but if you have the disc pop it in.
I've actually bought a ton of games because of that because finding the discs is a pain.
That's all Sony needs to do.

I Just wish Microsoft would stop dicking around and make JSRF BC
Thats pretty much one of the very few things that has my interest in buying the new Xbox over a PS5, also so far it has some games coming out for it.
New gen is boring so far

MSX

Is secretly 32-bit
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Donations
£543.68
AGName
MSX
AG Join Date
Dec 7, 2011
Thats pretty much one of the very few things that has my interest in buying the new Xbox over a PS5, also so far it has some games coming out for it.
New gen is boring so far
Also the PC stuff they have going on with Game Pass.

Also let us not forget how Jim Ryan gives the middle finger to anything not current gen because they look ancient.

DBloke

Registered
Sep 18, 2020
AGName
DBloke
Also the PC stuff they have going on with Game Pass.

Also let us not forget how Jim Ryan gives the middle finger to anything not current gen because they look ancient.
I had to Google who that is................
Is it weird that I think new gen dont look that different?

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
New gen is boring so far
Yeah I got a a really beefy high end laptop I'll get an XBOX Series X as a Denuvo work around. Next Gen seems to be about making consoles as much like PCs at an entry level price than any real leap. At least Sony is. XBOX is starting to feel like Sega's successor again.

DBloke

Registered
Sep 18, 2020
AGName
DBloke
Yeah I got a a really beefy high end laptop I'll get an XBOX Series X as a Denuvo work around. Next Gen seems to be about making consoles as much like PCs at an entry level price than any real leap. At least Sony is. XBOX is starting to feel like Sega's successor again.
Being an old fart I find my self buying less and less games for newer systems........

I just like it all on the disc damn it, with no day one updates/DLC

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006

From what I’ve read about Denuvo on PS5, it only uses the anti-cheat part, not the anti-tamper mechanism - which is supposedly what causes slowdown on PCs. Also, PS4 games were already using it and nobody even noticed. It isn’t built into the system, and it’s up to developers if they want to use it or not.

The main problem with this generation in general is that the systems’ scarcity is such that it doesn’t make sense to release a lot of major games for them yet. Also, their predecessors are still very popular, so that’s another reason to focus more on those systems instead of the new ones. Game development has also slowed down due to the pandemic.

My experience with the PS5 is that it really is a major step ahead from the previous gen, and I’m guessing the Series X is too, but it may take longer than normal for us to really see what these systems are capable of, for the reasons I already mentioned.

One good thing is that most new Xbox and PS games in the near future will probably be cross-gen at least, so even if they’re not designed for the new systems they’ll still look better on them.

I currently have 3 PS5 games, and I’ve pre-ordered one that’s coming out in about a month, called Returnal. This game looks pretty interesting to me. Of the games I’ve played so far, Demon’s Souls is the most graphically impressive one, but I don’t really love the gameplay.

One thing I’m really looking forward to is a patch/upgrade of some kind for the Last of Us Part II on PS5. So far neither Sony nor Naughty Dog have made any official statement about this other than the fact that it’s already been updated to support the DualSense - but it seems like it’s inevitable. This is one area where Microsoft might be doing a better job currently (upgrading previous-gen games), but I still think this’ll happen eventually.

DBloke

Registered
Sep 18, 2020
AGName
DBloke
The main problem with this generation in general is that the systems’ scarcity is such that it doesn’t make sense to release a lot of major games for them yet. Also, their predecessors are still very popular, so that’s another reason to focus more on those systems instead of the new ones. Game development has also slowed down due to the pandemic.
This isnt helped by scalpers and those that paid them vastly inflated prices as "Must have new thing"

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
So a few days in with RPCS3. Ridge Racer 7 is really temperamental on boot up. Sega Rally Online stopped working after an update (and the emulator auto updates frequently) Both versions of Virtua Fighter 5 run like butter. Dirt 2 had a sound issue. Street Fighter IV seems to be running too fast and Outrun Arcade has a squished HUD and doesn't look much better from the native PC version I have. Ran into a weird Glich in Tekken Tag HD where UP is tag out. After Burner Climax stays on the save screen after the last update for some reason.

So far so good It seems like a decent enough substitute for a real PS3.

Johnny

Gran Turismo Freak
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Johnny
AG Join Date
Mar 14, 2004

Have you tried this?

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I did not try that, I just decided fuck it and got a refund.
Then I preordered the Swtich version of Raiden IV. I also have it on XBOX. So I own multiple versions of the game.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Apparently the rumor about Sony closing the PS3 and PS Vita stores is true, because I just got an email from Sony saying exactly that. It also says in-game purchases on PSP will be shut down, and that you’ll still be able to re-download games you’ve bought on the PS3 and PS Vita. The date they’re doing it is July 2nd.

Reactions: Anthony817

Make a donation