Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

iMode Cable (SCPH-10180) Support in SDK?

danhans42

Love PSX :-D
Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
psx0.wordpress.com
AGName
danhans115
AG Join Date
15th September, 2007
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the SCPH-10180 imode cable was mentioned at all in any of the technical documents or any version of PsyQ? I have version (4.6iirc), which mentions the PDAlib, for the PocketStation.. but nothing about the cable.

I have even struggled to find the pinout used by compatible handsets.

I opened the one I have to have a peek inside. Assume that MCU is handling the uart to pad SPI type stuff :-

wpid-20130815_174502.jpgwpid-20130815_174515.jpg

I guess it would be pretty cool to put it to use for something as a slow serial port or whatever - I assume with the 250KHz SPI speed its going to be fairly limited speed wise? I don't have a phone to even be able to get it to communicate and serial sniff.

Any hel

Reactions: ItsMeMario

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
it did not have sdk for that , but command should be same as ps serial to imode cable one

Reactions: danhans42

danhans42

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
psx0.wordpress.com
AGName
danhans115
AG Join Date
15th September, 2007
it did not have sdk for that , but command should be same as ps serial to imode cable one

serial uses libsio or libcomb I think, which is just for the SIO port. This attaches to the joypad port, so surely it must have its own library as its completely different to the SIO port?

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
serial uses libsio or libcomb I think, which is just for the SIO port. This attaches to the joypad port, so surely it must have its own library as its completely different to the SIO port?
hmm, I am not sure now, may be I check out the note for serial to imode/phs ....

danhans42

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
psx0.wordpress.com
AGName
danhans115
AG Join Date
15th September, 2007
I would be grateful if you could, thank you. I notice in the manual that it also mentions connection to a PlayStation 2, so dont know if anything was mentioned in any of the PS2 docs.

I am struggling to even find the pin assignment for the connector used. Have searched many times for the various model numbers but cannot find anything relevant, and very little in English.

I have attached a list of handsets from the game that I have. Have looked at everything on there and still cant find anything relevant at all.
phones.PNG
Assume the connector was some sort of standard as quite a few phones seem to use it.

pool7

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
AGName
pool7
AG Join Date
2008/03/04
If you can read Japanese, several versions of the Tech Reference discs were dumped by Redump and can be found in archive.org
Maybe it is mentioned there.

danhans42

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
psx0.wordpress.com
AGName
danhans115
AG Join Date
15th September, 2007
If you can read Japanese, several versions of the Tech Reference discs were dumped by Redump and can be found in archive.org
Maybe it is mentioned there.

Thank you. I have just had a look and the newest on there for the library reference is 4.6, which I think is the one I looked through at home - although was in English. I will check over them later.

I will also see if I can find the pinouts for the connector. At least then I can try and muddle through the software and see what data is sent to the port.

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005
I can't find anything in the PS1 SDK i have, and only 2 .pdf from 2 dev conferences in 2001 in Japan from the last PS2 SDK.
Some PS2 titles definitely supported it.

Reactions: danhans42

danhans42

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
psx0.wordpress.com
AGName
danhans115
AG Join Date
15th September, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

I have looked through everything I have and cannot find any references at all. PDAlib is in there for the PocketStation, which I think was around at a similar time and quite often (if not always?) the titles supported both the PocketStation and the iMode cable. The only bits I can see that reference external communication are siolib and libcomb for linking two consoles together.

I also have found a copy of Ketai Eddy in my boxes, bought it years ago and forgot about it. That is also an iMode title, but rather than using a joypad port for communication, this title comes with a cable that plugs into the SIO port and an iMode compatible phone. Picture of the cable from eBay.

It would be really interesting just to see how it worked. As in was there a TCP/IP stack actually on the PlayStation or did the iMode phone do the heavy lifting on the protocol side.

Attachments

• imod_kteddy.jpg
    imod_kteddy.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: pool7

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
It would be really interesting just to see how it worked. As in was there a TCP/IP stack actually on the PlayStation or did the iMode phone do the heavy lifting on the protocol side.

The only way to know for sure would be to examine the code on the PlayStation - the photo you posted says "Digital MOVA" - which is what NTT DoCoMo called their PDC service. That used packet switched data at up to 28.8k (similar to the GPRS data on GSM) - but the actual protocol used depended on which endpoint you were connected to (which you could select in the connection request).

For example, DoCoMo made a device called a "Pocket Mopera" which was an email terminal that plugged into the phone, and appeared to be using PPP over packet switched data to communicate with the Internet - you could also get a cable that plugged into your car navigator to provide real-time traffic condition information (this was pretty impressive back then) - that also communicated over packet data, but seemed to use it's own private protocol.

Another thing to note is that just because something plugs into the accessory connector on the phone doesn't automatically mean it will work - for example, I had to replace my phone to get the car navi data link working - despite the fact that the old phone worked fine with mobile email and had the same connector.

Reactions: pool7 and danhans42

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
the SIO one cable, same as Yaroze cable did , just power step down to serial use ;)

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
There was a pocket station target Box, i missed to safe the pictures...

ItsMeMario

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
ItsMeMario
AG Join Date
Feb 11, 2014
I still have the original iMode cable in its original box...wish I would not have sold my Nec N21i...interesting read here.

pool7

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
AGName
pool7
AG Join Date
2008/03/04
There was a pocket station target Box, i missed to safe the pictures...
You mean this one?
pocketstationdev.jpg

credits: unclejun

unclejun

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
unclejun
AG Join Date
Nov 12, 2005
No, that's just the jtag adapter that connects to the DEX-4000.

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
it was some years ago (5-10) a guy from italy/france (i dont remember) on nintendoage post picture about a sony target box, asking for price.
It was a really cool devkit i never seen before i offer lot of € but he dont want to sell it.. It was a big box with memory card slots and tagged as target box. Pocket station devkit from sony, first party stuff...
The Case was depending on the H1500 for the guys remeber it.

Last edited:

pool7

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
AGName
pool7
AG Join Date
2008/03/04
PS: Sorry @danhans42 for derailing the thread!

Ok, now I found it... I remember searching about it several years, and I ended up thinking the ICE was the H4000...

Attaching here, as google cache is not very... reliable
Interesting how the box says "(tentative)"

Make a donation