Here are some links you may find helpful

Internet Archive in Danger

EvanSki

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jul 19, 2019
So copywrite pushing companies are Law-suiting The internet archive over its National Emergency Library that made more than a million e-books freely available during the pandemic. This Probably wont close down the Internet Archive But expect a lot of Vital history, Video games, E-books, Files to be removed from the site.

I got this info from PCgamer, I'm not 100% certain on theses facts, But if they are true its a dark day for preservation.
Full Webpage here

NightBreeze

Registered
Aug 1, 2019
This truly breaks my heart. Corporations don't, and will never, have an interest in preserving our culture. It's so messed up that they have a say in it. Is there anything we can do to fight this?

Edit: And by fight, I don't mean just donate to IA, I already do that on a semi-regular basis.

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010

However, the publishers may not be interested in forcing the Internet Archive out of business. Their goal is to get the Internet Archive to stop scanning their books. If they win the lawsuit, they might force the group to shut down its book scanning operation and promise to not start it up again, then allow it to continue its other, less controversial offerings.

• Love
Reactions: EvanSki

Diablodin

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£70.00
Ok. Books and literature in general are actually being covered globally, so then maybe it's not gonna be such a big loss anyway. :)

DocStatic97

Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
mspeter97
AG Join Date
February 28 2013
Still, this is worrying.
Kinda shows that companies don't give a damn about preserving stuff.

PrOfUnD Darkness

Registered
Jul 10, 2019
AGName
PrOfUnD Darkness
AG Join Date
2004-03-13
Still, this is worrying.
Kinda shows that companies don't give a damn about preserving stuff.

That's why other entities are doing the preservation work for them :) I hope this will end well, but I always asked myself how they were never sued before...

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Seems like a simple DMCA matter. Which the Archive has honored. There haven't been any real updates on lawsuits and it seems to be business as usual over there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Americandad

Make a donation