dark

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
dark
AG Join Date
September 2, 2011
The intro to SCUD Race Plus features a red car being driven around city streets until it enters the coliseum and by virtua of its speed, appears to knock it down completely without ever touching the walls of the coliseum. This is a little confusing to some SCUD Race fans since the car in the intro doesn't appear in the game, and knocking down the coliseum is a little different from the kind of racing you do in the game.

Sega fans might recognize the car as being the same or at least highly similar to a car shown in Jacky's (Virtua Fighter) CG promo artwork slideshow on sega saturn, and the car he is driving in a Virtua Fighter 3 promotional video. Eagle eyed fans might even see that the blurry driver in the SCUD Race intro even appears to share quite a resemblance to Jacky from Virtua Fighter. Here are a few comparison shots.

VF scud race connection.jpg

Well, I share with you today something that I just learned. Which is, that the entire SCUD Race Plus intro video is contained smack in the middle of a Virtua Fighter laserdisc video showing VF2 gameplay and some promotional Virtua Fighter artwork and movies. What's more, is that in this laserdisc, the video runs at a much smoother FPS than the same video in the SCUD Race arcade machine, and it contains music and SFX that are not part of the video when it is shown in the SCUD Race machine. I think this fairly conclusively shows that the SCUD Race Intro was simply a Virtua Fighter related promotional video that was repurposed.

Without further ado:
Video within Virtua Fighter laserdisc

Same video in attract mode of SCUD Race Plus

Elapagaluces94

Registered
Jul 31, 2019
AGName
ElApagaLuces
AG Join Date
31/7/2019
I always loved that red car and very good information, I didn't know it

dark

Original poster
Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
dark
AG Join Date
September 2, 2011
I've known about the similarities for awhile, but it was news to me that the entire video was shown (in higher quality with sfx) in the virtua fighter laser disc. That was kind of the final step for me to know without a doubt that the similarities between the VF car and the SCUD Race intro car weren't just a huge coincidence or something AM2 threw together for SCUD Race using graphical assets they had on hand on their computers, but more likely, it was a video created for a completely different purpose for Virtua Fighter promotion, and they just plopped it into SCUD Race later on.

I didn't even know about the laserdisc until this week, and the video has less than 500 views on youtube, so I can't be the only longtime sega fan who hasn't seen the VF laserdisc version of the video ;)

Make a donation