nullChar

Original poster
Registered
May 23, 2019
AGName
nullChar
AG Join Date
1/12/2012
NOTE: Post is under construction. More to come soon.

I got curious and started exploring the sourcecode found in Acclaim's QUAGMIRE codebase.
QUAGMIRE was used to build games for N64, PS1, and Dreamcast, and contains utilities, engine features, and system-level implementations.
(It also includes the N64/PS1/DC SDK sources/docs within the 3rdParty dependencies folder.)

You can find a link to the archive here: https://archive.org/download/acclaim_discs/Quagmire_PSX_DREAMCAST_N64_devtools.iso
NOTE: I will find a good place to put the tools I was able to compile and link them here soon.

Below are some of the tools that I was able to get building + running.
Not sure why the rendering is so messed up.

ASCView.exe - A model previewing tool.
(Need to run with WinXPSP2 Compatability settings + 16-bit reduced color mode.)

ScrEd.exe - A user interface editing tool.

SMOSView.exe - An interactive user interface previewer tool.

Last edited:

cobracon2

Jul 4, 2019
AGName
cobracon2
AG Join Date
unsure years ago
Great work getting those tools usable. Cant wait to see more when your done.

Reactions: Frogger

dotslash

Jul 30, 2019
AGName
Redacted
AG Join Date
What exactly is it that you want to do? Document, archive, spectate, rebuild, etc?

edit: I've got an iguana v64 if you want pictures for the collection. Nothing special, but kinda fun.

GodlySnail

Registered
Aug 1, 2019
You may get better results with an virtualpc and old settings. May Win98SE?

What? :D
Code:
if ( iDriveListCount > 1 )
    MessageBox( NULL, "Uh Oh, More than 1 CD-ROM so be careful!", "Acclaim Test", MB_OK );
else if ( iDriveListCount == 1 )
    MessageBox( NULL, "You are SO normal, you have just 1 CD-ROM.", "Acclaim Test", MB_OK );
else
    MessageBox( NULL, "You are below-cool, you have no CD-ROM.", "Acclaim Test", MB_OK );

Last edited:

nullChar

Original poster
Registered
May 23, 2019
AGName
nullChar
AG Join Date
1/12/2012
You may get better results with an virtualpc and old settings. May Win98SE?

Tried a couple different things with VirtualBox, but no luck yet. Might give it another shot soon.

What exactly is it that you want to do? Document, archive, spectate, rebuild, etc?

edit: I've got an iguana v64 if you want pictures for the collection. Nothing special, but kinda fun.

@dotslash
I'm interested in all of the above!

Sometimes I like to dig through code for interesting architecture, patterns, tools, and comments- like what GodlySnail found above :p
I'll try to update this thread very soon with recent findings.

I'm also really curious about the Iguana v64 if you get a chance to get a picture for us!

Frogger

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
FuckinFrog
AG Join Date
Jun 16, 2017
The Quagmire engine was also used for Turok: Evolution on the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. :)
EDIT: And PC.

Last edited:

nullChar

Original poster
Registered
May 23, 2019
AGName
nullChar
AG Join Date
1/12/2012
The Quagmire engine was also used for Turok: Evolution on the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube.

Interesting! So the Quagmire codebase evolved across N64, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. Would love to see the implementation for the later consoles.

Make a donation