Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

3DOM2 Ironblood : the lost prototype - a new video!

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

After a lot of searching, researching, and compiling in the SDK, I was able to obtain a fully working version of the Ironblood prototype for the 3DO M2. An enhanced version of the PS1 version that was shown off in magazines in the mid 90’s to hype the M2.

I don’t yet have the ability to release this, and the person/s who helped me source it and get it running wants to stay anonymous, but for now it’s fully documented and no longer “lost”!

So go watch the vid! Shoot me a sub if you can...took forever to get this happening :) hope you enjoy

takeshi385

Registered
Jun 4, 2019
AGName
takeshi385
AG Join Date
Mar 29, 2011
That’s so awesome. Thank you for preserving it. There is just something cool and mysterious about the M2.

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Thanks. When and if I am able to share with other M2 owners I definitely will. At least for now this exists showing exactly what it was :)

Reactions: Anthony817

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Man, what could have been with the M2. I had a 3DO back in the day, and would have been cool seeing a successor coming out with real games and at retail.

All in all, how many playable demos exist for the M2? How much software was even out there released to the community to play with? I know it isn't much, but curiosity is starting to get the best of me. I know there was that racing game and mybe thaat was it?How much does an average M2 console go for?

Anybody care to give me a quick rundown and abridged version of why a fully finished console never went to retail and why not many games were even made for it of the hardware was finished and almost ready to release?

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Sure :)

M2 was shopped around and ALMOST sold to Sega in 96, but ended up going to Matsushita / Panasonic. They hyped the hardware but kept pushing the release further and further back to "Ready" it for launch.

A combination of things happened that killed M2. One) Panasonic got a new CEO who wasn't dedicated to M2 Two) They felt competing against Nintendo would be difficult in Japan and Three) Dreamcast was on the horizon and M2 couldn't keep up. Had it released it would have been the dominant platform for maybe 18 months before it too was "obsolete".

As far as what hardware goes for its a major range. Thousands though now. Arcade hardware goes cheaper but will not play demos such as these, as while the hardware is identical, the BIOS file are not. I am always working on fixing this but its a massive project

As far as how much software exists ; five full arcade releases by Konami. On the "home hardware" front, IMSA, Ironblood, multiple demos, and a game/demo called "Dolphin". That's the only piece of software I have not acquired.

I will be showing more in the upcoming months, as I have collected probably too much stuff for M2 lol. Running out of physical space to house it all!

Make a donation