Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

N64 Is a component-out YPbPr N64 RGB mod possible?

esprade

Original poster
Registered
Sep 7, 2019
AG Join Date
April 25th 2011
I've been looking around Google and can't really see anything on this. I know there are RGB mods for N64 from the AV out, my console is already done, but what I'd really like is to take the R/G/B signals and the L/R phono signals and route them to a component-out socket on the back/side of the console to go directly into a device such as the Retrotink, removing the need for unnecessary scart converters. I've seen AES consoles done like this in the past, and would really like to do it with an N64, but I'm not sure if it can be done from the inside using Voultar's RGB kit for example, and would need to be split from the scart. Does anyone have any pointers?

ngbackmodded_grande.gif

^ Imagine a N64.

Mord.Fustang

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
Although I don't know of any mods with the jacks built into the console, I have an RGB modded N64 and Retrovision component cables.
Might not be what you're looking for, but that's my best suggestion.
They're awesome. Little pricey, but worth it.

Edit: There's lots of "rgb to component" circuits online, if you intergrated the components inside the N64, you could probably wire some jacks like your example picture. The Retrovision component cables I would imagine just have these components integrated into it anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dj898

Jun 1, 2019
what.is.it.
AGName
dj898
AG Join Date
since there's RGB->Component transcoder if one makes the compact version for N64 I suppose it'd possible. saying that don't think I've heard anyone is working on such thing

esprade

Original poster
Registered
Sep 7, 2019
AG Join Date
April 25th 2011
Yeah, I was aware of the HD Retrovision cables, kind of a last resort but something I may end up resorting to for convenience. But the RGB > component circuit boards I was not aware of, I'll deffinately give that a look.

Yeah ever since I owned a component AES, long gone btw, it was kind of a blessing to have all the ports conveniently routed directly out of the console. It also looks really cool, some people like their consoles looking tidy but there's a certain appeal to retro consoles having these packed features, especially since in the day we used to have RF ports sticking out of the back.

If the RGB > component circuitry is not compact, maybe I can see what is up and make it a future project of mine to make space and try and get it done. I'm not exactly sure yet where on the console you would put said ports, but would make for an interesting project for sure.

I thought that perhaps you could just rout the R/G/B to their corresponding jacks and take the L/R audio signals from somewhere else on the board, but with it being integrated with the AV circuit I didn't think it would be as straight forward as that.

Mord.Fustang

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
Once the RGB mod is done, you would connect the RGB to Component circuitry inside and tap into all the pins on the AV out port... It has all that you need, R G B, audio L/R, sync, even 5v and ground. Make some jacks and connect it all. On paper it doesn't seem overly difficult but might need some tweaking. Plenty of room to fit a small circuit.
People are more interested in HDMI mods anyways as more and more TVs omit component.
If I didn't already have my component cables I might have considered this option in the past.
Anyways, if you end up pursuing this mod, please post pics!

Last edited:

Contezero

Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Conte Zero
AG Join Date
Dec 17, 2017
There is an opensource native digital to rgb or component out for N64. It uses the same hardware as the "lite" version of gcvideo for gamecube but with a different bitstream for the main IC. You can build it yourself following those instructions:

Reactions: einsteinx2

esprade

Original poster
Registered
Sep 7, 2019
AG Join Date
April 25th 2011
Thanks for the info!!

Make a donation