notataco64

Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
eviltaco64
AG Join Date
07/16/2008
My 20GB YLODed somewhat recently.
Before it did, you could tell later-gen games really pushed it (Resistance 3, GTA 5). It would get hot and occasionally freeze. I put CFW on it and mostly used it for playing PS1/PS2 backups off an upgraded HDD and used a Slim to play PS3 games.

The consensus at this point is that the failure is some mix of the caps towards the center of the board going bad and damage done from inefficient cooling and bad thermal paste, right? The old arguments about reballing as a permenent solution appear to have gone out the window

Reactions: JumpSuit

JumpSuit

Community Contributor
Registered
Nov 12, 2019
My 20GB YLODed somewhat recently.
Before it did, you could tell later-gen games really pushed it (Resistance 3, GTA 5). It would get hot and occasionally freeze. I put CFW on it and mostly used it for playing PS1/PS2 backups off an upgraded HDD and used a Slim to play PS3 games.

The consensus at this point is that the failure is some mix of the caps towards the center of the board going bad and damage done from inefficient cooling and bad thermal paste, right? The old arguments about reballing as a permenent solution appear to have gone out the window
NEC TOKINs are main culprits, that or a dead RSX. Thermal Paste sure if it is dried. It is worth it to repair Launch models with PS2 EE+GS since it is hardware PS2 in a PS3, what more can you get from a really good PS2 experience out of HDMI imo?

Dennis Delitsso

Donator
Donator
Registered
Feb 14, 2020
I think PS3 launch console is one of the best consoles ever made in the industry. Absolute GOAT. Just imagine having system that can play over 9000 games: 3 generations across on one system.

Is it worth to fix it? Absolutely, as long it would be an easy repair for you. Time is money, and if the process is too complicated/time consuming then you might as well ditch it.

notataco64

Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
eviltaco64
AG Join Date
07/16/2008
I think PS3 launch console is one of the best consoles ever made in the industry. Absolute GOAT. Just imagine having system that can play over 9000 games: 3 generations across on one system.

Is it worth to fix it? Absolutely, as long it would be an easy repair for you. Time is money, and if the process is too complicated/time consuming then you might as well ditch it.
What PS3 was and what purpose it was to serve changed a lot from early on when it was touted as this home media centerpiece/supercomputer.
Interesting battleground as launch PS3s were basically the last continuation of the PS2's extensive physical media support (Blu-ray, SACD, media/USB slots) but by the time the Slim came out, it was all about building up digital marketplaces and streaming. PS2s were in such abundance everywhere.
NEC TOKINs are main culprits, that or a dead RSX. Thermal Paste sure if it is dried. It is worth it to repair Launch models with PS2 EE+GS since it is hardware PS2 in a PS3, what more can you get from a really good PS2 experience out of HDMI imo?
I'd prefer to keep it in this instance. There aren't a whole lot of those 20GB PS3s and I even still have the original box. I usually played games via component.

Reactions: JumpSuit

JumpSuit

Community Contributor
Registered
Nov 12, 2019
What PS3 was and what purpose it was to serve changed a lot from early on when it was touted as this home media centerpiece/supercomputer.
Interesting battleground as launch PS3s were basically the last continuation of the PS2's extensive physical media support (Blu-ray, SACD, media/USB slots) but by the time the Slim came out, it was all about building up digital marketplaces and streaming. PS2s were in such abundance everywhere.

I'd prefer to keep it in this instance. There aren't a whole lot of those 20GB PS3s and I even still have the original box. I usually played games via component.
Never said anything about selling it :p Fix it up and enjoy your PS2 library upscaled! :D

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I just wish the one I have was a launch model. I got the last revision of the fat PS3 from 2008 with the smallest CPU size. After I refurbished it when I bought it ran pretty great. It was full of so much dust I never seen anything like that before. After bathing the plastics in hot water and cleaning the motherboard with a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol then adding MX-4 thermal paste it was good as new.

But absolutely, if you have a launch model repair it. I seen tutorials of it and it doesn't look too hard to replace the NEC TOKIN's according to this video. Just tedious to tear apart.

Also if anything, these consoles will continue to hold thier value. So people repairing these can do so and flip them and make a hell of a nice profit, especially if they sell fully refurbished and jailbroke with upgraded HDD's.

Make a donation