• Hey, Guest!

XenForo 2.2 is coming soon, it's bringing many new features such as a PWA app for OG etc. It also comes with the drawback of more costs to update themes/some addons. It'll also remove access to some older browsers which'll suck but these shouldn't be used as their security sucks.

With the costs already looming we decided to improve OG's look with a new fancy theme that gives OG a more gamer feel. This has cost us only slightly more than it would have cost to renew the current theme and runs alot nicer.

You can beta test it here: Linky. (Please note only dark is live, light will come once issues are ironed out.)

If the current theme breaks on update we will end of life it, but we'll make something looking similar based on the default free theme so don't fret!

I've been looking at gaming laptops and would like some opinions.

PopetherevXXVIII

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I think it's time to slowly start to transition to PC. I'm buying more and more games digitally and it just seems like where I should be heading.

So here are the ones I'm looking at one is out of my price range the other two I'm torn between. I think I know what I want but I thought I'd ask for some opinions before I make this rather large investment.

The beast with non existent battery life

Better screen and battery life, Not sure on the Graphics card

What I really want but it's out of my price range.

Arcadia

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Arcadia
I'd go with the first one, seeing as neither of them has a long battery life anyway. You just won't see that in gaming PC's this size.

If battery life and mobility is important, you'll have to go down in size. There are decent laptops 14" now, with 120Hz+, powerful Ryzen CPU, and RTX GPU's in this price range.

Me though, I'm waiting for the RTX 30 series to find their way into laptops. But that may take a while.

la-li-lu-le-lo

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Do you specifically need a laptop? Like, do you think you'll be using it in other places besides your home? If not, then I'd say you should build a desktop, since the result will be much cheaper and/or more powerful than a comparable laptop. Also, like Arcadia said, regardless of whether you're getting a laptop or desktop, it'd be a good idea to wait until the RTX 3000 series is available in whatever form factor you want. The first desktop cards are supposed to be available later today.

GoTeamScotch

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
GoTeamScotch
AG Join Date
Jul 14, 2016
The Sager seems to be more gamer-oriented. The gfx card is slightly better, the screen is higher refresh rate, and it's cheaper too. It's also much thicker, which means you'll notice it more carrying it around. It has a dekstop Ryzen CPU in it, which may be overkill depending on what you're using it for. You definitely don't need a 12-core CPU to play most games out there. The Asus has a slightly higher resolution display and it's also geared towards creators, so expect better color reproduction and picture quality on the screen. If you're going purely from what's a better gaming machine, the Sager seems the better option. I personally have had good experiences with Asus laptops and am not as familiar with Sager. I also like the look of the Asus. I would expect the Asus to be a little more polished with less rough edges (both figuratively and literally). Objectively, the Sager has better specs but I personally would prefer the Asus. That's also because I do graphics design on my laptop, so a good screen is important for me personally. It depends on what you're going to be using it for really. Sager = slightly better gaming experience, Asus = good overall experience.

I was shopping for a laptop last year (Oct 2019) and spent a long while looking into different options and landed on the Aero 17 by Gigabyte. I have been extremely happy with it. All-metal build, small bezels, very compact, and reasonably powerful. Link: Aero 17. Their Aorus line is very similar, just geared more towards gamers rather than creators.

PopetherevXXVIII

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
There are 4 things I'm doing, Game development, You Tube videos, Music Production and actual gaming. I don't really have room for a desktop PC and I'll probably be working in different parts of the house anyway due to my unique living situation.

I am leaning towards the sager because I think it might be slightly more future proofed. If I could get that Asus with a Ryzen that's probably what I'd be getting.

GoTeamScotch

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
GoTeamScotch
AG Join Date
Jul 14, 2016
Food for thought- The asus has a thunderbolt port, which gives you the option of getting an external GPU years down the line once desktop RTX cards come down in price and you want an upgrade (w/out getting a whole new laptop).

PopetherevXXVIII

AG Refugee
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Food for thought- The asus has a thunderbolt port, which gives you the option of getting an external GPU years down the line once desktop RTX cards come down in price and you want an upgrade (w/out getting a whole new laptop).
The Asus having a Metal build is a mark in the plus column the 2060 and the i7 is a mark in the minus column.

The Sager seems close to a PS5 which This laptops is a stand in for (and Hey it can play upscaled legacy PlayStation games.....)

I wouldn't have this problem if I had the room for a PC Tower. But If I start DJing I'll need to take this with me anyway.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
2020 Donator
2019 Donator
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
There are 4 things I'm doing, Game development, You Tube videos, Music Production and actual gaming. I don't really have room for a desktop PC and I'll probably be working in different parts of the house anyway due to my unique living situation.

I am leaning towards the sager because I think it might be slightly more future proofed. If I could get that Asus with a Ryzen that's probably what I'd be getting.
Sffpc then? You could build something very small and easy to move from room to room and get a better bang/buck.

Gaming laptops are really only a good idea for rich people or people traveling all the time.