Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

JVS at home - a "how to" series - part 1 : I/O boards and how to use them

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

I get a lot of JVS questions so I hope this helps some people!

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I have a Sanwa JVS power supply that I got for my Model 3, but it seems to have an issue. I'm entirely sure what the problem is, but it seems like it could be due to the voltage adjustment pot breaking, which causes the voltage to change randomly. I'm not sure exactly how this could be fixed, except I guess just replacing the broken adjustment pot thing. That said, it's possible the problem is actually with my Model 3 rather than the PSU - but given its behavior, the PSU seems like the more likely culprit. By the way, I built an adapter to connect this power supply to my Model 3.

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
I have a Sanwa JVS power supply that I got for my Model 3, but it seems to have an issue. I'm entirely sure what the problem is, but it seems like it could be due to the voltage adjustment pot breaking, which causes the voltage to change randomly. I'm not sure exactly how this could be fixed, except I guess just replacing the broken adjustment pot thing. That said, it's possible the problem is actually with my Model 3 rather than the PSU - but given its behavior, the PSU seems like the more likely culprit. By the way, I built an adapter to connect this power supply to my Model 3.
Oh yeah that’s like 99% probably your issue. Boards do not like fluctuating power. Especially on the 5V rail. Even a few points off 4.99 / 5.03 can cause stability issues.

some boards lock to 5, some like 4.99, others like 5.01, etc etc etc but none of them like the voltages changing randomly.

I’d get a new supply

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I’d get a new supply

It'd be better if I could get this one repaired; it wasn't cheap. Like I said, I think the adjustment pot just needs to be replaced, which I think should be possible. It'd probably be possible to replace it with something that just has a fixed value, since I don't need to be able to adjust it anyway.

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
It'd be better if I could get this one repaired; it wasn't cheap. Like I said, I think the adjustment pot just needs to be replaced, which I think should be possible. It'd probably be possible to replace it with something that just has a fixed value, since I don't need to be able to adjust it anyway.

Maybe it's just me but when power supplies present issues I do not repair them. I always find electricity "sketchy" and worry about fire hazards / over volting a pcb.

If it's just a potentiometer yes you can 100% replace it. Just make sure to check voltage and adjust the new pot before trying any boards.

Make a donation