Dynarec

Original poster
Registered
Mar 9, 2020
AGName
Dynarec
AG Join Date
3/8/2020
I've noticed that Killzone in PCSX2 has better perfomance than running on original PS2 hardware. I've read somewhere that Killzone has an internal frame limiter. The frame lag, or poor performance is evident when playing Killzone on native PS2 hardware, almost to the point that it is not playable, but when I run Killzone in PCSX2 the frame lag is almost non existent and gameplay is almost buttery smooth. Can anyone explain what is going on here? I am running PCSX2 1.4.0 with the GSdx SSE4.1 plugin in OpenGL Hardware mode with 6X resolution, with MTVU or (Multi-Threaded micro VU1) enabled, no speed hacks or game fixes.

PC specs:

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
- DDR4 3600 Mhz Ram 32 Gigs
- GeForce GTX 2070 Super
- SSD 1TB

My PS2:

- SCPH 50001
- FHDB 1.966 with an original network adapter and Maxtor 250 GB IDE drive.
- OPL 1682 DB TA all 5bf829f 2020 02 11 from this link - https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

Dynarec

Original poster
Registered
Mar 9, 2020
AGName
Dynarec
AG Join Date
3/8/2020
I don't really know maybe it's subjective. There are a few compatibility modes that I can try in OPL.

Last edited:

water111

Jun 2, 2019
PCSX2 doesn't accurately simulate the timing of the PS2, so things like this can often happen and it is not unusual. One of the largest timing differences is with VU1. In PCSX2, the emulated VU1 will run for thousands of extra cycles each time a new micro program is started, making it seem like it is much faster than it should be. As a result, games may run faster or report very low VU utilization.

Also the CPU emulation doesn't have super accurate timing or emulation of the cache. So if the game has a ton of cache misses on the real hardware which results in wasted cpu cycles where no instructions are executed, it will appear as if the emulated CPU is faster than it should be because the stalls due to the cache misses are not emulated.

Unfortunately it is really hard or maybe impossible to write a ps2 emulator that has accurate timing and is fast enough, so this is what you get with PCSX2.

Reactions: HermitTheHog

Make a donation