la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Some pictures of recent purchases. Some cool stuff this time.

BnPXkQy.jpg

I got both the PC and PS4 versions of Shenmue III. I intend to play the PC version for the moment, and I'm already about 6 hours into it - but I wanted to have a physical copy, and I figure once the PS5 comes out, Shenmue III might be enhanced on that system. Also, it came with a preorder bonus. I got the PS4 stand a while ago, I just forgot to include it in my last post. Now that I have Micky's Speedway USA, I'm only lacking one game to have a fullset of US versions of N64 games by Rare. The only one I'm missing now is Banjo Tooie; I have all of the others. Oddworld Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus are the PC versions.

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, both the PC and PS4 US versions of Shenmue III have options for English and Japanese voices as well as subtitles in English and other languages. I know this because I've played the PC version, and the PS4 version has this information on the box.

This is a preorder bonus that came with Shenmue III for PS4. It has the dragon mirror on one side and the phoenix mirror on the other. It's pretty small, maybe 1.5 inch diameter, but I still think it's pretty cool. I still haven't decided where I'll keep it.

X0JFqws.jpg

This is something cool I found that came with Godzilla Generations. Inside the case, there's this booklet that lists all of the launch games for the DC as well as upcoming games. Most of the upcoming games were actually released I think, except for this one. And look at the date: 12/10 [1998]

uzX2TpD.jpg

This is pretty interesting I think, because that means Sega was planning to release Geist Force only a couple weeks after the DC launch. I think that means the game must've been fairly close to being finished before it was cancelled, unless this booklet was printed way in advance. Anyway, I haven't seen this referenced anywhere else, so I thought I'd share it.

Speaking of Geist Force, something I was thinking about recently was that I think Sega must've reused parts of Geist Force in subsequent games, specifically Panzer Dragoon Orta and Gunvalkyrie. Both of those games have parts that look very close to parts of Geist Force (the one that leaked on ASSEMblergames years ago), so either they reused parts of it or just took inspiration from it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if many of the people who worked on Geist Force ended up in what became Smilebit.

By the way, I'll post a partial translation of the ad in the picture above later, unless someone else wants to do it.

Last edited:

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I forgot I said I was going to do this. Here's a partial translation of the Geist Force ad. I've written it according to the lines in the image.

Here it is:

(The price) 5,800 yen
Cinematic SF shooting (SF probably means science fiction)
Sega Enterprises
Geist Force (in katakana)
GEIST FORCE (in English)
(Something in kanji I can’t read) visual impact “de akuru” (not sure what that means in this context)
Cinematic SF shooting!

If someone can understand the parts of the second to last line that I couldn't, feel free to share your translation.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
圧倒的な is "overwhelming". I guess I would read it as "Cinematic SF Shooting delivering overwhelming impact" - but it's been a long time since I lived in Japan, and my Japanese was never very good anyway :)

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
圧倒的な is "overwhelming". I guess I would read it as "Cinematic SF Shooting delivering overwhelming impact" - but it's been a long time since I lived in Japan, and my Japanese was never very good anyway :)

Sounds about right, except I think it's "visual impact". So maybe something like "Cinematic SF shooting that delivers overwhelming visual impact!" Do you think that's right?

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Sounds about right, except I think it's "visual impact". So maybe something like "Cinematic SF shooting that delivers overwhelming visual impact!" Do you think that's right?

Yeah, the actual wording is "visual impact" - I was just being sloppy.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Yeah, the actual wording is "visual impact" - I was just being sloppy.

I have a question, since I’m interested in learning Japanese, and you clearly know at least a little more than I do: what does であくる mean in the context of the ad? あくる means next or following, I think. I’m not sure about で, as it has multiple meanings. Can you explain that to me?

T_chan

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
T_chan
AG Join Date
Apr 13, 2008
okuru = delivering, sending
"de" in this context = "with", "using"

cfr https://www.punipunijapan.com/japanese-particle-de/
The particle で can also be used to indicate means, method, or instruments. It translates into “by”, “with”, “in,” “by means of”, etc.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
okuru = delivering, sending
"de" in this context = "with", "using"

cfr https://www.punipunijapan.com/japanese-particle-de/
The particle で can also be used to indicate means, method, or instruments. It translates into “by”, “with”, “in,” “by means of”, etc.

Ah... I thought it said あ instead of お. I use katakana more often than hiragana, so I tend to have difficulty remembering certain characters sometimes. That makes more sense now, thanks.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Here are some of my recent game purchases.

Yoq1CNZ.jpg

I say recent, though some of these I got maybe a couple months ago. Ikaruga is one that I've wanted for a long time. I chose to get the DC version, since it's the original and my favorite. I now have the duo of Radiant Silvergun and its sequel/successor, Ikaruga, both complete with spine cards. I might take a picture of the 2 together later. I also have another really good Treasure game, Sin and Punishment for the N64, also complete.

Here's a photo of some Star Wars PC games I've been playing recently.

s543LzI.jpg

I've had these sitting in my closet for quite a while, but the cases had some kind of stuff all over them, I think it was probably coffee or soda. I finally got around to replacing the parts of the cases that were dirty. Before I found them, they had been sitting in a box in my parents' attic for years. I was thinking about these games: I think Rogue Squadron was included with the Voodoo Banshee card, which my dad bought for his computer. He bought the card, though he let me play this game, I remember. I think Episode I Racer was mine. I also have the Dreamcast version of that game, which is pretty good - though I think the PC version is the best overall.

Since I got DOA6, I thought I should take a picture of all of my DOA games.

L4v132n.jpg

This isn't all of them, but a pretty large chunk. I don't have any other versions of DOA5 or DOA6 besides the 360 and PS4 versions respectively, and I'm lacking the PSP and Vita games as well as Xtreme 3. I only collect US and Japanese versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anakin94

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
A note about Ikaruga: when I got the game originally, the case was slightly damaged, but the seller agreed to give me a partial refund - which I used to get a replacement case. I just received the case today, and now the game looks practically like new.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
A few games I've gotten recently. Nothing that impressive this time, but still kinda cool.

imU2DR5.jpg

And yes, I'm fully aware that Sonic 2006 is a terrible game, and I don't disagree. I just find that I'm strangely fascinated by it, and I can't really explain why. I guess the main thing is just that I enjoy the style of the graphics, even though most other aspects of it are pretty bad.

I already owned the Japanese version of the DC game above, Buggy Heat. I wanted the US version because I've read that they fixed some of the issues with the gameplay. Having played it now, I'd say the difference isn't that big - but overall, I actually prefer the Japanese version. Still, it's a game I really like, so it does seem worth it to own the US version too.

Not directly game-related, but sort of. Here are some Fujifilm CD-Rs I got the other day. They were sealed, though I've opened it now. I've been burning a lot of games to play on my Windows 98 PC (mostly games that are either impossible to find retail copies of or that I already own on at least one platform), but I was running out of discs. The discs I was using were Fujifilm and they seemed to work well, so I decided to get more of those.

DaDbmdM.jpg

It turns out these are actually manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, which is pretty cool. These were made when Taiyo Yuden still existed. I already tried burning a few discs, and they seem to work fine. My previous Fujifilm discs were made by Ritek, so I was kind of surprised to find out these were Taiyo Yuden.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
What's so special about Taiyo Yuden?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I didn't expect that I'd be posting again this soon, but I got a bunch of games this week. Here are some of them.

DvHlEcW.jpg

I got the PC games and the DS game from thrift stores. It's funny - I was just playing Quake 3 the other day, and that made me think I'd like to own Unreal Tournament, and then I just happened to find it at a thrift store the next day.

Here's a copy of Riven I found.

UV6DeKO.jpg

I also got this from a thrift store. I took a picture of the spine because the cover doesn't have the game's title. Presumably the big box it originally came in would've had the title on the cover.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Here are a few recent additions.

O0pvSqq.jpg

I got a discount on Kirby because I had a coupon.

This isn't game-related, but it may be of interest to anyone who's interested in obscure electronics in general. This is a DAT deck.

dH4fwuo.jpg

Amazingly, I found this at a thrift store. To find something like this at a thrift store is pretty uncommon. I've been going to thrift stores for years and I've found plenty of cool stuff, but I don't think I've ever found something comparable to this. It powers on and the tray opens and closes. I don't have a tape yet, so I haven't been able to fully test it - but I ordered a tape, and it should get here tomorrow. I'm really excited to try this thing out! This deck was apparently aimed at consumers, but it seems to have all of the features you'd expect for a professional deck. It looks really nice too.

I used to have a Panasonic DAT deck years ago, but my parents mistakenly threw it away or gave it away or something. This deck is possibly better than that one though, assuming that it works.

Reactions: Schrodinger

supersega

Donator
Donator
Registered
Nov 25, 2019
AGName
supersega
AG Join Date
Jul 25, 2014
What the fuuuh.... I am really surprised I did not see this before.

Reactions: Nully

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Part of the reason I got SC IV is because Yakumo mentioned it on Retro Core, which reminded me of the fact that Yoda is in the game. I also remembered that I rented this game once years ago, and I still have the save data on my 360’s HDD. I did a transfer from my previous 360 to this one a couple years ago, but fortunately I kept everything that was on the first drive except for a few games that I don’t like and have no intention of ever playing again. So, I still have the stuff that I unlocked when I rented the game years ago. It was also pretty cheap, so that made the decision even easier.

Make a donation