Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Laser fix V10 questions?

H3X1C

Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Hi all, I have done some reading online and found lots of forum posts etc pointing to modchips causing laser burnout on early PS2 consoles. I really don't want that to happen as I found it fairly hard to get hold of this model and it's in great condition. I have also read there are lots of different fixes and that some don't work etc. So I was wondering if anyone has a definite answer and what I should do / advice. From what I read the pic fix looked like the best route but I found limited information on it.

My console is the following:
SCPH-50003 - GH-026 - V10

The modchip I plan to install is a modbo 5.0

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Gou

Donator
Donator
May 30, 2019
Hello.
The only fix for the V9/V10 consoles is the Romeo mod.
You can do that by either lifting pin 17 of the LA Chip and connecting it to 5v, or cutting the trace on the back and connecting it to 5v.
Pic fixes, resistors and diode fixes are meant for the original ps2 slim(v12).
Btw this is not caused by the modchip. The same thing can happen on non modded consoles too. Its the lower quality of the burned discs that increases the risk of it happening.
And the V9/V10 consoles are the most common fat models atleast from my experience. So worst case scenario if something goes wrong, it shouldnt be hard to get another one and replace the motherboard(or the whole console if it's in good condition).

Attachments

• Romeo-Laser-FixV9-V10.jpg
    Romeo-Laser-FixV9-V10.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 0

H3X1C

Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Thanks for the information that makes more sense, in case you are wondering I read about the pic fix for v10 systems here:
but there is missing information so that's why I asked.

So you mentioned it's dependant on the media so I think I will just leave the console as is with the modchip installed. I will only very occasionally use the disc drive and when I do it's just to play PS1 backups which are scratch-free and on good quality discs so I'm thinking the risk is probably rather low.

On another note, I installed the chip today (First time doing one). Certainly one of the trickiest modifications I've done to a console and had to use some of the alt points but it works so I'm happy!
PS2ModChipInstall.png
PS2ModChipInstallBack.png

Reactions: Gou and truemaster

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
i have a model like this. the ic la6508 needs the romeo mod not because of modchips but because of burn dvds on either high speeds or bad media or even both can damage it and if this ic go it will take the lens coils with it. modchips just byppass security they are not responsible for damages. but it will be better if you hook a network adapter an hdd and do the fhdb hack and say goodbye to burn media. exept psx games that can only be from cd and its the only reason that i have modchip

Last edited:

H3X1C

Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
i have a model like this. the ic la6508 needs the romeo mod not because of modchips but because of burn dvds on either high speeds or bad media or even both can damage it and if this ic go it will take the lens coils with it. modchips just byppass security they are not responsible for damages. but it will be better if you hook a network adapter an hdd and do the fhdb hack and say goodbye to burn media. exept psx games that can only be from cd and its the only reason that i have modchip
Yeah I just use the disc drive for PS1 games. I may consider doing the romeo mod.

Reactions: truemaster

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
romeo mod can only do good. even if the motherboard is completely unmoded and the inserted media is only original discs. also the thermal pads are old by now replace them too

Make a donation