Links and images not visible as guest

I tend to visit sites as guest and only log in when I have something to say. However I noticed that many content in this forum, even simply things as linking somewhere, is hidden behind "log in to see this text" walls.

Are these there for a reason or can they be removed? They are really annoying.

Dracarys

DeChief's Eternal Master
Staff member
Administrator
We had a [HIDE] feature that let us choose what content could be seen by members that were logged in only. Sadly this feature does not currently work the same way with Xenforo 2. Instead of allowing users to hide specific links, it hides everything by default and we have to whitelist entire domain names.

That can cause issues, for example if a user is sharing a picture of a rare developent piece of hardware but only wants registered members to see it and another user shares a picture of his collection for everyone to see. If the hosting website is whitelisted, everyone would be able to see the image that was supposed to remain private.

If a Xenforo add-on comes out that makes the hide feature work like it did before, we will put it in place.

if a user is sharing a picture of a rare developent piece of hardware but only wants registered members to see it
If that is the only reason for the |HIDE| tag, then it is completely useless: anyone can log in, save, and upload it to reddit or wherever. I suppose it blocks robots from crawling the image. But if he posts something people are interested in, it WILL get reposted.