Thebigman1106

Original poster
Registered
Jun 9, 2019
AGName
thebigman1106
AG Join Date
Hi guys,
I'm visiting London, the first week in December.

Is there any retro games shops in London that anyone recommends?

I'm particularly interested in nes, SNES, N64 n PS2. (Don't think we can class the PS3 as retro yet!)

Thanks

Windjammer

Registered
Aug 25, 2019
AGName
Windjammer
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2009
Not to my knowledge I'm afraid. Last ones I knew of (retro game base and the one just off Goodge Street) closed some years back...

I'd be happy to be told I'm wrong though!

Edit - You could trawl the many CeX stores for over priced NES, SNES and N64 games. They often stock loads of PS3 games if that's your bag.

Thebigman1106

Original poster
Registered
Jun 9, 2019
AGName
thebigman1106
AG Join Date
Yeah, not keen on cex....last time I checked they wanted £50 for n64 majoas mask cart only.

Thanks for your reply , will stick to the Lego store!

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
What is the UK scene like anyway? I have a buddy over there and he's not the best barometer of the whole of the UK retro scene.

I'm semi interested in getting a microcomputer and a crap ton of games as I understand nobody really collects for them.

Windjammer

Registered
Aug 25, 2019
AGName
Windjammer
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2009
There is definitely a growing trendy/hipster scene with barcades and retro gaming bars cropping up in bigger cities.

In terms of collecting the independent high street shops have been decimated by ebay/online etc. There are a few speciality stores around but they (in my experience) rarely compete with Ebay on prices. I generally have more luck trawling weekly markets, antique/collectable fairs or car boot sales. There are a number of larger conventions too but I've yet to attend one.

I've recently acquired a Spectrum and C64 but to be honest I have little to no nostalgia around the platforms; the loading times, sometimes amateurish code and clunky controls really kill my enjoyment. Although there are literally hundreds of tapes out there to find so could be fun for collecting.

Jackhammer

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhammer
AG Join Date
July 14th 2008
I Don't know of any retro shops in London, but for anyone local, there's a retro shop based in Bradford worth a look.

Make a donation