Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
Hi All,

A few months back i bought a DECR-1010U from ebay, its the controller with the red charging led beneath the ps button.

Unfortunately it seems the firmware on it is incompatible with newer ps3 dev kit firmware. I've read that its possible to update the firmware on the controller using a tool that was distributed via sonys dev site but i cant seem to track it down.

Has anyone got a link to the files or are able to send upload it somewhere.

Thanks in advance

the7thchild

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
the7thchild
AG Join Date
2011-2-7
That tool never existed. Developers are told to purchase commercial controllers after the prototype controllers support has ended

hermesconrad

Donator
Original poster
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
That tool never existed. Developers are told to purchase commercial controllers after the prototype controllers support has ended
That's a shame, thanks for letting me know though

hermesconrad

Donator
Original poster
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
The tool does exist, I've used it myself.
Great to hear, any clue where I might find it or what it's called so I can try search for it? Would love to revive my controller.

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 274

Yeah there is a tool, as math has said.

Something to keep in mind here, there are easier ways of getting these pads to function with later firmwares.
It is also important to note that some of these pads can be updated to support this, but its also possible that with the update the led function can be disabled with a later update. I have experienced this firsthand when testing updating a DECR-1010E model in a similar manner. It is also important to note that among the many models that do feature the red led's that there are a couple models with later firmware support. Such as one of the very few prototype kiosk pads which had a retail sku and the red led. Differences between models tended to be very revisional such a between CBEH-1010 and CBEH-1011 ect. Also to my knowledge the firmware update tools are not publicly shared.

Things to try, using cfw with the appropriate plugins which can enable support with various pads even ps4/xbox ones.
Use a cronus max usb reciever and use any gamepad* on the system.

Hope this helps.
-Jeff

PS. While youre free to do whatever id personally advise against updating the device to a later firmware.

Reactions: hermesconrad
D

Deleted member 274

Also the cronus max is non invasive and can be used with any of the prototype pads on the system, I even got the beta 2 engineering sample working on a retail unit with it.

hermesconrad

Donator
Original poster
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
Yeah there is a tool, as math has said.

Something to keep in mind here, there are easier ways of getting these pads to function with later firmwares.
It is also important to note that some of these pads can be updated to support this, but its also possible that with the update the led function can be disabled with a later update. I have experienced this firsthand when testing updating a DECR-1010E model in a similar manner. It is also important to note that among the many models that do feature the red led's that there are a couple models with later firmware support. Such as one of the very few prototype kiosk pads which had a retail sku and the red led. Differences between models tended to be very revisional such a between CBEH-1010 and CBEH-1011 ect. Also to my knowledge the firmware update tools are not publicly shared.

Things to try, using cfw with the appropriate plugins which can enable support with various pads even ps4/xbox ones.
Use a cronus max usb reciever and use any gamepad* on the system.

Hope this helps.
-Jeff

PS. While youre free to do whatever id personally advise against updating the device to a later firmware.

Those are great points, The dev kit is running rebug it shouldn't be a issue to pursue the plugin route at the minimum. Thanks for the advice

Losing the red led would be a real shame, I'd rather it be non-functional than lose that

Reactions: Deleted member 274

hermesconrad

Donator
Original poster
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
Yeh cronus Max might be a winner, I'll look into it, thanks again

D

Deleted member 274

No worries, like I said its just easier and you can leave the pad as is, and its a confirmed method. :)
Id give the cronusmax a look, but I have had some luck with the plugin route also it just depends. Best of luck.

D

Deleted member 274

No worries, like I said its just easier and you can leave the pad as is, and its a confirmed method. :)
Id give the cronusmax a look, but I have had some luck with the plugin route also it just depends. Best of luck.

hermesconrad

Donator
Original poster
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
I don't think it's worth risking the controller, the non invasive measures are probably better here, tho I think it might be worth archiving the tool if either of you have it. Worth getting over to demon to put somewhere safe.

Mathieulh

Problem Solver
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Mathieulh
AG Join Date
01/01/2006
Those are great points, The dev kit is running rebug it shouldn't be a issue to pursue the plugin route at the minimum. Thanks for the advice

Losing the red led would be a real shame, I'd rather it be non-functional than lose that
Later firmware updates literally disable the red led on the controllers, you have to downgrade its firmware to restore functionality.

Reactions: devbug_mind

hermesconrad

Donator
Original poster
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
Later firmware updates literally disable the red led on the controllers, you have to downgrade its firmware to restore functionality.

I havnt seen rebug try to flash it, not sure if that firmware inhibits that feature, connecting the controller just shows the red led and nothing more. When I got the decr I think It was on firmware 3.55,didnt work on that firmware either. Not sure at what point Sony dropped support for that controller

Mathieulh

Problem Solver
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Mathieulh
AG Join Date
01/01/2006
I havnt seen rebug try to flash it, not sure if that firmware inhibits that feature, connecting the controller just shows the red led and nothing more. When I got the decr I think It was on firmware 3.55,didnt work on that firmware either. Not sure at what point Sony dropped support for that controller
By firmware, I mean the controller firmware, not the actual ps3 firmware.

hermesconrad

Donator
Original poster
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
By firmware, I mean the controller firmware, not the actual ps3 firmware.

Oh my mistake, assumed the ps3 itself would attempt to upgrade the controller

D

Deleted member 274

Exactly, only a very specific controller firmware works "The very early kiosk controller for example"

D

Deleted member 274

No the controllers have to be flashed manually, the Playstation 3 does not do this.

hermesconrad

Donator
Original poster
Staff member
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 12, 2019
Donations
£14.47
AGName
hermesconrad
AG Join Date
11/july/2019
Is there any way to dump the firmware on these controllers over usb? Not sure if it's something to be preserved

D

Deleted member 274

Yes this is actually something being worked on, it requires flashing over a firmware and backing up the existing one. It has to be done a specific way though in order to do properly.

Make a donation