Looking to MAKE some high quality RGB cables...

Discussion in 'Retro Console Modding' started by Shugs81, May 12, 2017.

1. Shugs81

Shugs81 Member

Hi guys..

Just wondering what cable i should use if i want to make my own RGB cables... I understand people will tell me to buy them... but cables are one of those things I've struggled with and want to get better as well as make my own hardcore cables...

Would like something fully shielded... not bothered about price as it's just looking at the moment...

2. BuffaloWing

BuffaloWing Member

On other forum I've read people use VGA cable to build their own RGB SCART. I haven't tried it myself, however I'm in the process of building some cables using HDMI since there are many lines within the bundle. They are cheap and plentiful. They also typically come with at least four shielded pair of wires which should be good for R,G,B and Sync (or audio if you prefer). I'm aware that HDMI cables may not have the right impedance value but so are the VGA cables.

Shugs81 likes this.
  3. Shugs81

Shugs81 Member

cheers buffalo! Gives me a good place to start looking... Dunno why I didn't think of that!!

4. L2000

L2000 Member

I use VGA cable myself , they have four separately shielded cables inside which are usually properly colour coded and all other wires are shielded as well in the main cable. For my Mega Drive I just used shielded CAT 5 cable (not for high def obviously) .

Shugs81 likes this.
  5. Shugs81

Shugs81 Member

I was only wondering about cat5 today!!! Cheers!!!

6. L2000

L2000 Member

I've actually seen posts over the inter webs of people making component cables for PS2 using CAT 5 cable so it might just work

7. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Member

Are you trying to make it fully wired?

Or something like RGBs + LR audio to BNC/RCA? Or just making extension cables? I've been making scart cables like that using BELDEN 7790A.

If you are trying to wire to make like a Nintendo mutliout connector then you will need something smaller such as VGA like buffalo mentioned.

8. Shugs81

Shugs81 Member

looking to making some kind of switcher and i also have a massive bag of mini din's which i'm planning to use... we'll see what happens! ;p

9. Ergot

Ergot What if something inside IS killing me?

Shugs81 likes this.
  10. Shugs81

Shugs81 Member

that looks good!!! Ive got some 8 core shielded stuff that's way too thick and I've had to cut the plug to fit... This looks a lot better!!