Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Louvre museum Nintendo 3DS

camop

Original poster
Sep 12, 2020
Hello,

I went to the Louvre museum in Paris France a few weeks ago, and I was surprised to see that their audioguides are custom mades Nintendo 3DS.

They have no cartridge slot, no pencils, no pencil slot, and no removable battery.

They boot directly into the Louvre's software when powered on, which makes me believe that it must have a special firmware.

Have anyone else investigated this peculiar piece of hardware? I think a small group of organized people could manage to steal one pretty easily from the museum, as there is no strict check points if you come from underground.

I know it's illegal, and, quite frankly, don't count on me to do anything related to that! But I would love to crack one open, see what's inside, and possibly dump the software!

Cheers!

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Uh... I don't think you should encourage people to steal things. I would think that if the mods were paying attention, they wouldn't allow this.

Reactions: Diablodin

code1038

Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
code1038
eBay Username
code1038
they have some revisions.

The 1st version is a development console "without" firmware and has a special cartridge to start and open the software. The cartridge is screwed directly onto the console. They use the first 3DS model (with sponsor Korean Air written on it)

The 2nd version is identical but the shell has been modified to hide the port cartridge. the cartridge is inside the console, but you have to open it to change it. (to no longer tempt cartridge thieves)

The 3rd version is a 3DS XL console after launching this version - the shell is also changed.
(I don't know if there is still a cartridge)

Actual version is a New Nintendo 3DS XL console - the shell is fully customized ! controls are marked inside console. Cartridge port is blocked by 2 pieces of plastic, but a hole shows that there is no cartridge. it also prevents inserting a cartridge.

I don't know if since the first version the hardware has been modified, but I guess the IR system has been improved since the consoles use this technology to find their way around the museum

The retail consoles work, it is possible to buy a cartridge of the guide directly at the museum shop. cartridges are not zoned and boot on all firmware (but do not work on older ones ^^). to be confirmed but it looks like the latest revisions are now multi-language, although each language is sold separately. The application is also available on the eShop.

the game box has undergone several updates, such as the release of 2DS and the New Nintendo 3DS XL. The people in charge on the spot speak of an imminent V2 update without giving me more details.

Nintendo France manages this equipment and uses a personalized locker to recharge it. they made it especially for the museum and only have two spare parts left just in case.

A large part of the software / hardware has been developed in front of the Louvre, in the little-known offices of NINTENDO R&D (ex mobi clip)

I know it's illegal, and, quite frankly, don't count on me to do anything related to that! But I would love to crack one open, see what's inside, and possibly dump the software!

I visited the surveillance offices of the Louvre, they use "HD" cameras (more 8K) capable of zooming in on any individual with a digital zoom (without lens) and they are fitted to ALL areas. You will be quickly found ;) I saw a demonstration

EDIT:
Found this on ebay, but picture look like a scam (it is the counter of the louvre ticket office - picture is from website)

Attachments

• Capture3dslouvre.PNG
    Capture3dslouvre.PNG
    545.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Getta Robo

Ergot

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Ergot_Cholera
AG Join Date
Aug 2, 2012
I have a copy of the Japanese language cartridge. It only works on a Japanese 3DS.

code1038

Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
code1038
eBay Username
code1038
i'm back from Louvre Museum
i got some info.

i bought French version and only language french is available. Cartridge still use V1 version ! (and work perfectly on brazilian console)

Project is managed by Nintendo UK and Nintendo NCL (Japan) - Miyamoto personally invested in this project. (Iwata and Miyamoto used to come to paris regularly for a while :) - they could be seen in the galleries of the louvre if we were lucky.)
The project started few years BEFORE the announcement of the 3DS. (with Nintendo R&D)
Nintendo France only provides repair service under the supervision of Nintendo UK.

Cartridges are purchased directly from Nintendo UK, Nintendo FR don't have any reference in stock.

Pea2nuts

Aug 12, 2019
AGName
Pea2nuts
AG Join Date
May 18, 2013
So where does the game with the retail looking game box come from?

Make a donation