Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Review Metal Slug 3

Metal Slug 3 is an incredibly enjoyable run'n gun game. Run to the right, blow shit up. Simple as that. Not much more to explain than that. The series just kinda didn't get better than this one.

Gameplay wise, it's a lot of fun. You run around, free and save hostages, and shoot everything that isn't a background object or is being used by yourself. Throw hand grenades, shoot with the "ROCKET LAUNCHER" and pick up the many, many powerups that will shout at you, "HEAVY MACHINE GUN". Granted, the voice shouting at you is a bit cheesy, but it does honestly add to the charm of the game.

The game has 5 levels, but also multiple pathways, usually having to do with a sub of some sort. They do add to the replayability, as they can change how you play the game. Levels 1 and 3 have them undoubtedly, and would be in places you wouldn't really expect under most circumstances. Level 5 though is a long, drawn out pain in the ass. First, your character gets abducted by aliens, then you go up to space and give chase. The mothership is not hard, it's just really, really, REALLY long. At least 20 minutes. And believe me, you will feel it. The rest of the game doesn't drag out like that, but there are a few level gimmicks that do tend to get on my nerves. Level 2 for example. Getting bitten or barfed on by a zombie, turning into a zombie, then not being able to avoid shit because I couldn't move fast enough.

Graphically, this game is very pretty. It's sharp and everything moves smoothly. As is to be expected with any MS, there is a bit of lag sometimes, but it's alway running at a smooth 60fps. The look is sharp down to the pixel. So sharp you might cut yourself on it.

Sonically, this game is good. Voice clips that are a bit cheesy, such as the staple "HEAVY MACHINE GUN!" or such add to the charm of the game. The music isn't really that memorable, but that's mostly because I wasn't paying attention to the music but instead the gameplay and making sure I focus on what is flying at me and avoiding what can be avoided. The music isn't bad. I just never really paid attention to it. The clips are a bit crunched, but you can't really complain about that.

Control wise, It's solid. It's snappy. Zero lag. Plays as it should.

There are also extra modes in the home ports, such as Mothership and Fat Island, and a level select.

Don't bother with Fat Island.

I overall did enjoy this game, and I would recommend that you play it. Only problem is that it is the type of game where you can go and ruin friendships by taking all of the powerups. Play co-op at your own risk. Also, lots of tanks, hand grenades, and HEAVY MACHINE GUNs. Not much else to say though, as the game looks good, plays good, and sounds good.

Highly recommended, all three, MVS, PS2 and Xbox versions.

-Gameboi64

Gameboi64

I may be alive, I may be dead.
Return to: Game Reviews
1 and 3 are my favorites of the series, though I'd say 3 is probably better. It's definitely better graphically, which isn't surprising considering how much later it came out. I actually bought the MVS version once, but when it arrived it was non-working; it had corrupted looking graphics. I'll buy another copy at some point. I also agree that 3 was basically the peak for the series. AFAIK that was the last Metal Slug game created by the team who created all of the previous ones. From 4 and on, they basically just made crappier imitations of the previous games.

The reason i was recommended 3 was because the guy I was talking to that recommended it to me was like "Don't play 4. It is awful" and in all honesty, I did end up giving it a shot and it just feels like something is missing.

1 and 3 are my favorites of the series, though I'd say 3 is probably better. It's definitely better graphically, which isn't surprising considering how much later it came out. I actually bought the MVS version once, but when it arrived it was non-working; it had corrupted looking graphics. I'll buy another copy at some point. I also agree that 3 was basically the peak for the series. AFAIK that was the last Metal Slug game created by the team who created all of the previous ones. From 4 and on, they basically just made crappier imitations of the previous games.

Agreed. MS1 and 3 is the way to go. It's a shame that the more the series progressed the less you can destruct the backgrounds and this is where 1 really shines. It's like In The Hunt. Yep 3 was the last one. I heard the too. 4 was...you know. And 5, I fell asleep. The Neo is a genious system which can provide bitmap graphics via tiles which are all sprites. I mean all of the backgrounds of 1,2 and 3 are like beautiful paintings.

Last edited:
I'm a long-time Metal Slug fan and 3 is definitely the best (even more so played with a friend). Anyone who disagrees is dead wrong.

Always thought it went on far too long. Schmup section is gash too. Last level, gash. Last fights, gash.

1, 2, X or bust.

Any other opinion is laughably, pathetically wrong! Hahaha!

Make a donation