Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
[...]

Discuss..
I don't like this consolidation of game studios that's happening right now. This will lead to les competition, more exclusive games, and might make it harder for Indy devs to pierce the market.

Overall, I think this will lead to either less choice for consumers, make it more expensive to have the same level of choice, or both. There's a reason antitrust laws exist.

Reactions: 60fpshacksrock

GiroNeko

Registered
Jul 3, 2021
I mean, as long as they keep their promise of not making the ips exclusive for their plataform, this will be very healthy for Microsoft and the devs. But likewise, I believe that this will decrease the amount of AAA games in general. Still not sure if this is something I should be happy, only the future will tell.

Last edited:

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
I mean, as long as they keep their promisse of not making the ips exclusive for their plataform, this will be very healthy for Microsoft and the devs. But likewise, I believe that this will decrease the amount of AAA games in general. Still not sure if this is something I should be happy, only the future will tell.
Got a recent link for that? I don't recall them promising not to make future Bethesda games PC/Xbox exclusive. They only promised to stick to existing agreements about particular games that were already being developed. No promises beyond that from what I recall, but as I said please link to something recent if they have said otherwise.
I think it was last year that Phil Spencer was quoted as saying some future Bethesda games will be PC/Xbox exclusive. I'd have to go dig up a link for that.

For PC/Xbox users an event like this translates into games coming to gamepass either day 1 or sometime later.
Sony and Nintendo have their own exclusives, Sony has already acquired IP's in the past.
I'm not trying to argue that one company buying up loads of IP is a good thing in itself.

Reactions: GiroNeko

GiroNeko

Registered
Jul 3, 2021
Got a recent link for that? I don't recall them promising not to make future Bethesda games PC/Xbox exclusive. They only promised to stick to existing agreements about particular games that were already being developed. No promises beyond that from what I recall, but as I said please link to something recent if they have said otherwise.
I think it was last year that Phil Spencer was quoted as saying some future Bethesda games will be PC/Xbox exclusive. I'd have to go dig up a link for that.

For PC/Xbox users an event like this translates into games coming to gamepass either day 1 or sometime later.
Sony and Nintendo have their own exclusives, Sony has already acquired IP's in the past.
I'm not trying to argue that one company buying up loads of IP is a good thing in itself.
Got you some links. Not the latest, but yes, as far as they told us, they will (try to) keep their agreements.
They made their statement flexible enough to make us wonder if the next games are going to be exclusive for pc/xbox or not.
But for someone who states that “When everybody plays, we all win." is kind contradictory seeing games that were announced before ms agreement
being turn into exclusives.

Like I said, only the future will tell.

Last edited:

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
You said they promised not to make games exclusive.
Future games; there aren't any promises because why in hell would they release more of their games on rival hardware? lol
There are Sony/PC only games (eg: Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, Days Gone).

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
There are Sony/PC only games (eg: Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, Days Gone).
And I'd have the same stance if Sony had bought Bethesda and Blizzard in the last year.

Monopolies aren't good for consumers; gaming monopolies aren't good for gamers.

The Blizzard acquisition doesn't give Microsoft a monopoly, but it sure is helping in that direction.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Yeah not sure how I feel about this. I am primarily a PC gamer when it comes to modern gaming, so I will still have access to any future Activision games I would want to play. But yeah, this is going to really hurt PlayStation gamers in the long run, unless they also get into PC gaming if not fans of owning Xbox or whatever. Another thing is the games will sell nowhere nearly as much as they did when available on Sony systems in addition to others. So that is a lot of revinue lost if it is exclusive to Xbox and PC, but that is just a given.

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
I don't think Sony deserves the respect it had in the past. All the talk of BC this gen has amounted to just PS4 games, other stuff is ported and you are forced to buy it again (this is so much like Nintendo).
Revenue is only lost if Sony/Nintendo owners refuse to own PC and/or Xbox hardware. If some buy Xbox hardware then that is extra revenue (much like when people had/have little choice but to buy Sony/Nintendo hardware).

ShakeMadMan

Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
suprashake
AG Join Date
1-11-2015
BS All the Way Around. I say.... F Sony or F Microsoft I think on both fronts

ShakeMadMan

Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
suprashake
AG Join Date
1-11-2015
I feel sorry for the poor gamers and the prices just keep going up and content just keeps going down and no hacked Xbox one and PS4 and PS5 and Nintendo is hacked.... I see vary bad things coming out of this Monopoly and greed

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I don't think it's a good thing. Fewer game companies means less competition, and less competition over time generally leads to crappier products. Plus, Microsoft doesn't have a good track record when it comes to buying other game companies - look at what happened to Rare. It makes sense that they'll probably want to make some, if not all games from their subsidiaries Xbox/PC exclusives, which also seems like a bad thing - especially considering that Activision and Blizzard were never tied to a specific platform in the past. I decided to buy all of the consoles this generation, so exclusivity won't affect me personally.

Microsoft's current strategy of buying up lots of game companies seems good for them in the short term since it seems to be generating positive press, but I'm not sure how well it'll work out in the future. It seems like Microsoft is just depending on spending power rather than any type of planning or strategy. I think a better option would be to create an entirely new game studio made of people from their current studios and/or new people from outside of the company. That could actually lead to something new as opposed to just endless sequels/reboots/etc. of well-established franchises. I also think that in the long run, just spending lots of money doesn't necessarily lead to profits unless, again, there's some type of plan or strategy behind it.

I'd say the timing of it seems a little strange. Blizzard has recently been the center of a lot of controversy. You'd think that this would make Microsoft less likely to want to buy them - unless maybe they thought it'd allow them to get a better deal.

Reactions: FamilyGuy

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
You'd think that this would make Microsoft less likely to want to buy them - unless maybe they thought it'd allow them to get a better deal.
That's the most likely answer.

"To buy a toxic cash cow"

versus

"To buy a toxic cash cow, with a big rebate".

Diablodin

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
Donations
£70.00
IMO Act/Blizz should have been left to rot, and Msoft could have hired the employees under a new division and bought the IPs afterward. And this is coming from someone who has loved their games all his life.
Now Kotick gets away with a huge paycheck and keeps all his stock bonuses that have already started climbing in value because "the situation" is shoved under the carpet and forgotten about in terms of the general public view...

I do hope that Msoft is able to clean up and sort of refresh the studios ground-up. Act/Blizz really needs a reset, so this will ultimately be healthy for the devs, if their impact is compensated.
And Msoft seems to give their studios a lot of resources, time, and not to mention freedom, so that is positive as well. Maybe more Starcraft, maybe official Warcraft 3 Re-Reforged, maybe Diablo 2 private mod servers? :)

Just how MASSIVE Msoft is now is worrying me a bit. We're in the age of big fish eating the small. Eat or be eaten. And I'm totally against this. Mo money mo problems. That's just how it is. So we'll see how it goes.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
On a related note, apparently Sony is buying Bungie.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
On a related note, apparently Sony is buying Bungie.
That's not a match I'd have expected...

I guess Sony is feeling the heat. I still think it's a bad thing overall that studios are all coalescing into a few big ones.

Make a donation