Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PS2 Mod PS2 to play PS1 backups only

DGanger

Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
Hello, everyone.

I have unmodded PS2 SCPH-70004 and want to play burned PS1 CDs. It is possible to use swap trick and PSXLauncher, but I want to mod my console. I don't need PS2 features of modchip.

What modchip is the best and still available in 2021? What contact of modchip should I solder? Maybe even MM3 will be enough?

psydefx

Registered
Jul 6, 2019
AGName
psydefx
AG Join Date
March 27, 2016
just a theory but wouldnt a modbo 4.0 (or other ps2 modchip really) work for psx games with only the points 3.3v, gnd, rst and sx?

Americandad

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
Americandad
AG Join Date
July 4, 2011
Well, with mechapwn exploit you no longer need any hardware mods to play PS1 backups on PS2.
Indeed. However MechaPwn won't boot out-of-region discs if your console model number is below SCPH-7500X.

Americandad

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
Americandad
AG Join Date
July 4, 2011
But Is possibile patch a PS1 ISO as PAL before burn it, in this way is also possibile play NTSC games.
That's true. Just recently I found out about this, and I had to waste a couple of CDRs to figure it out. The logo and license text must be correct as well. So no custom text or logos.
I only tested this with PSX games, so I don't know how it works with PS2 games, but once patched to PAL region the game will be forced to boot in PAL. Meaning the display will have an incorrect aspect ratio and may show half the display off screen (on a CRT). The solution is to first run GMS and set output to NTSC for PSX games. Return to PS2 browser and then boot the region-patched PSX game.

Make a donation