Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

XBOX Modded Original XBOX, HDD/DVD Error. (Error 21)

PneumaticFrog

Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
AGName
PneumaticFrog
AG Join Date
20/10/2019
What's happening here? Original Xbox with Exexutr2 on it. Won't boot games or load the MSdashboard. 20191020_141510.jpg

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
HDD going bad maybe? I think bad sectors/read errors aren't covered by 5 through 9. Try a replacement if you have one, or at least a rebuild though even if that works it'll only be temporary.

Should go without saying but backup your shit asap.

Reactions: PneumaticFrog

PneumaticFrog

Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
AGName
PneumaticFrog
AG Join Date
20/10/2019
HDD going bad maybe? I think bad sectors/read errors aren't covered by 5 through 9. Try a replacement if you have one, or at least a rebuild though even if that works it'll only be temporary.

Okay thanks a ton. I'll get it backed up tomorrow at my friend's place. Cheers for the help man :)
Though, how long is temporary do you reckon?
Thanks again ?

PneumaticFrog

Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
AGName
PneumaticFrog
AG Join Date
20/10/2019
Hey, what do you mean by a full rebuild?

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Remake the HDD contents from scratch, i.e. recreate the partitions, then put on a fresh copy of all the files... In hopes of any bad parts of the drive being recognized and marked/skipped throughout that process.
Seeing how you apparently can't boot anything, your best bets are a) putting the drive into another Xbox and doing it there (with e.g. the Hexen disc), or b) do it in a PC (with XboxHDM).
Honestly, if your time is worth anything to you, don't bother and just try it with a replacement. (Also, if the HDD turns out not to be the issue, you can just swap the old, untouched drive back in.)

NeC5552

Registered
Jun 8, 2019
AGName
NeC5552
AG Join Date
Nov 24, 2013
The easiest way out of this is a new IDE (or SATA w/ SATA-to-IDE adapter) drive prepared with Hexen. You already have a Xecuter 2 chip which enables you to boot the Hexen disc, so just pop it in the DVD drive and set your Xbox up the way you like it.

cta - bad sectors aren't covered by any error. E5 and 6 are unlocked (5) and locked (6, locked to wrong Xbox), 7 is HDD timeout, while 9 is DVD timeout. 13 means bad dash files, 16 is can't set clock, and 21 means it couldn't launch the dash properly and showed this error as a result. (it's similar to 20, more or less)

Last edited:

Vorde

Registered
Nov 18, 2019
AGName
Vorde
I've spent a long time modding and messing around with the original Xbox and I've never seen anything like this happen. I would have to agree though, the first thing I would do is replace the HDD and rebuild from scratch. Hope it works out, let us know how things go

JustAnyone

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
AGName
mindaugasgt
AG Join Date
Jul 10, 2018
For me this error happens when i use reboot to dashboard in one of tools in SlaYers utility disc 3.3 but not sure which
Videoumode switchdisk app most likely
other than that, i'm never getting this error anywhere else

Make a donation