Welcome, Guest!

Here are some external resources you may find helpful

N-Gage Prototypes (Hardware - and a bit of Software ;))

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
Got the Twister flasher up and running. Much easier than expected and working great.

Also found out why beta firmware can not be flashed. How to fix it - not sure yet.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
New addition to my collection: Pandemonium E3 alpha demo from April 2003.

pandy_e3_1.jpg pandy_e3_2.jpg pandy_e3_3.jpg pandy_e3_4.jpg pandy_e3_5.jpg

No gameplay footage yet, as the game does (of course) not run on retail hardware. Have to get my proto unit out of storage.

BobTop

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Bob
An updated version of this beta works well on any retail device.11.png
Only if the system language is English. I don't know why the developer did this.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
Copy protection, my friend. :) A retail device does not see a B4.1 card as being legit. It will run fine once cracked, of course.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
Btw, does anyone know how to dump early cards that are not detected by Windows (tried a modern 7/10 and a very old XP notebook with built-it card readers) and that also do not show up when having the N-Gage connected via USB? Even the retail card of Pandy has that behaviour.

I can access the files on the N-Gage using FExplorer just fine. But there's a single data file twice as large as the N-Gage's internal memory, so I can't go that route either. I have quite a few cards now that I can not dump because of that, which is rather annoying.

BobTop

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Bob
Once upon a time I found an old forum which is not currently found by a search engine. Someone wrote there that there are old models of digital photo devices that support MMC cards, they supposedly can be used as card readers but only for Win XP. But this has not been tested.

BobTop

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Bob
On license cards, files and folders have an attribute - hidden file. In the settings of the Win XP system, you need to install - show hidden files.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
I'm not sure if you understood my problem. I know how to dump N-Gage games on MMC. I'm into that for 15+ years.

The issue is that some early cards, especially those having 8 megs, are not recognized by card readers at all and also don't show up when the N-Gage is connected via USB. Nokia must have messed with the card's meta data on purpose on these.

BobTop

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Bob
Are the game files visible through the X-plore on your smartphone? Is it possible to send game files via bluetooth connection via X-plore?

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
Yes, they are visible, as already written. Sending via Bluetooth is possible, but only to another N-Gage. Doesn't help, as then the same issue with the file size applies. I can't send a 7-meg file to another N-Gage.

BobTop

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Bob
I sent you a patch to save the received file via bluetooth to a memory card ...

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
Thanks, but that doesn't really solve the issue. I need to find a way to properly dump such cards. A kludge for a single game isn't what I'm looking for.

BobTop

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Bob
Why for one? There is also Trivial Pursuit.)))))))

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
Trivial Pursuit is not affected by this problem. Let's not mix things up. Only some of the early 8-meg cards have this issue. I'm still not sure if you understood what I'm actually talking about. :whistle:

Anyway, using a digital camera as a card reader is still an option I'm going to try, as it may indeed work different to what is built-in into notebooks.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
retro-net.de
Also found out why beta firmware can not be flashed. How to fix it - not sure yet.
I gave up on this, it's not possible. The official data packs by Nokia contain an addition payload of about 180 kb of code/data at the start of the flash file. This is needed for flashing but can not be gathered from the device. You can not just dump the firmware on the phone and flash it to another phone. Using the payload from a different firmware does not work either. So without the data pack by Nokia, no beta/dev firmware can be flashed.