Naomi development

mltv

Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
AGName
mltv
AG Join Date
May 1, 2007
This just hit me tonight - but I do not believe I have seen any docs or tools or SDK for Naomi development. Or even a homebrew/demo. My google- & search-fu may just suck though. So, if someone wanted to build a demo for naomi, what's the toolchain/process? Apologies if this is obvious - I just couldnt find anything (easily) - and that surprised me.

Reactions: ryu_highabusa

mltv

Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
AGName
mltv
AG Join Date
May 1, 2007
Ok, did some more research, and found this (and it just only recently happened!):

And more specifically:

But that seems to be the only option. I wonder what was used "officially"? (but not a big deal - I am unblocked now, at least for a bit).

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Ok, did some more research, and found this (and it just only recently happened!):

And more specifically:

But that seems to be the only option. I wonder what was used "officially"? (but not a big deal - I am unblocked now, at least for a bit).

Atomiswave dev kits were just DC kits with some different hardware. NAOMI was not much different than that considering it's all based on the same architecture.

mltv

Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
AGName
mltv
AG Join Date
May 1, 2007
Atomiswave dev kits were just DC kits with some different hardware. NAOMI was not much different than that considering it's all based on the same architecture.
Right - but I dont recall seeing anything in the katana docs referencing targeting naomi (nor atomiswave or hikaru). If you have seen otherwise, please point me to it!

My main need is - for the timebeing - addressed with kOS. Though I am now curious of what the devs used - in terms of toolchain/software - for targeting arcade hardware.

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Right - but I dont recall seeing anything in the katana docs referencing targeting naomi (nor atomiswave or hikaru). If you have seen otherwise, please point me to it!

My main need is - for the timebeing - addressed with kOS. Though I am now curious of what the devs used - in terms of toolchain/software - for targeting arcade hardware.

I'll ask around and see if I can find some docs

Ioncannon

Registered
Jun 25, 2019
AGName
Ioncannon
AG Join Date
Oct 19, 2010
It would be interesting as the Naomi SDK must have had some kind of JVS interface code as well (access coin counts, keyboard, lightgun, analogs, etc). Probably the only addition (the Atomiswave dev kit basically replaced the modem with a JVS port iirc).

Crazy it was never leaked. Most likely the main systems are the same (even Kamui has a NAOMI option for initialization).

Xerxes3rd

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
Donations
£7.36
AGName
Xerxes3rd
It would be interesting as the Naomi SDK must have had some kind of JVS interface code as well (access coin counts, keyboard, lightgun, analogs, etc). Probably the only addition (the Atomiswave dev kit basically replaced the modem with a JVS port iirc).

Crazy it was never leaked. Most likely the main systems are the same (even Kamui has a NAOMI option for initialization).
Wasn't most of that handled by a JVS <-> Maple IC?

MetalliC

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
MetalliC
AG Join Date
@mltv I think the best you may find is this homebrew minimalist environment

Crazy it was never leaked.
what makes you to think so ?
arcade SDKs or docs leaks happen in very very very rare and unique cases, it is crazy miracle if this happens.

I think I've seen very few - NeoGeo and one more platform, which had official docs/build tools/SDK leaked, from all the hundreds of different arcade platforms.

Probably the only addition (the Atomiswave dev kit basically replaced the modem with a JVS port iirc).
lolwat ?

Make a donation