la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
So, I have this monitor, the NEC XV29 Plus. It's an awesome monitor, 29" CRT presentation monitor - it accepts nearly any type of RGB video, and supports resolutions from 240p/480i up to 1024x768. The picture quality is amazing too... when it works. Unfortunately, it has an issue. It isn't so bad that it renders the monitor totally unusable, but it's pretty annoying and it decreases my enjoyment of using the monitor.

The problem is this: every once in a while when something is being displayed on the monitor, a kind of image distortion will happen where the entire image or parts of the image flicker between darker and lighter colors - and after a while the flickering stops and it results in an image with abnormalities in brightness and areas of blue on parts of the screen. I've done tons of testing, and I'm still not entirely sure what causes it. I've tried cleaning the inside of the monitor, and I've tried all sorts of other things to no avail.

However, I think I might have an idea of what's causing the issue. It seems like it could be an issue with the power cable/connector on the back of the monitor. I was just using the monitor, and the problem happened, and I removed the power cable and plugged it in again - and almost immediately turned the monitor back on again, and the problem was gone. I previously thought this could have something to do with heat, since I'd tried doing this before while leaving the monitor unplugged for a while. But this time, I didn't leave it unplugged for long at all, just a few seconds. I've also ruled out all sorts of other things it could be, so that makes this seem more likely than it did previously.

I also recently had an issue with my LCD monitor that was kind of similar (the LCD uses the same type of power connector) though not totally the same, but the solution was the same: unplugging and then reinserting the power cable. I don't know if there's any relation there, but it seems possible that a loose power cable was the cause of both problems - and the process through which that happens is in some way analogous, even though they're different kinds of displays.

Anyway, I still don't know for sure - but it seems possible that for some reason, a bad connection with the power cable could be what's causing the issue. Can anyone suggest a way to solve that issue? Any other ideas about what could be the cause of the image problems would also be useful. As far as the power connector, I could theoretically replace the connector itself, or install a custom connector of some kind - I'd rather not do something that extreme, though. Is there any way I could ensure a better connection?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
No, degaussing it when the problem happens has no effect.

I had another idea late last night - that the problem is caused by a problem with the sync on the RGB inputs. If that’s the case, it’s possible that RGB sync-on-green wouldn’t have the issue. This is something I could test.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Original poster
Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I have yet another new idea about what could be causing the issue: my VGA switch. It's a really cheap switch, so I think it's just poorly built, which could explain the issue. I need to find a very high quality VGA switch, one that I can be pretty sure won't already have a defect of some kind. Any suggestions?

Make a donation