Donations
£14.06
michielvoo.net
AGName
michielvoo
AG Join Date
Feb 10, 2010
Hello!

I obtained two of these recently from a seller that was also selling some copiers. As you can see from the photos below the adapter is unmarked, and has what seems to be a slot for a Famicom cassette, but the PCB does not have a Famicom connector. I tried it on a Super Famicom. Playing a Super Famicom game works, playing a PAL Super Nintendo game does not work, so it does not circumvent regional lockout. The IC is marked AG B9230 GAL16V8-25LNC.

I have two, so if you want one to figure out what it does, I am happy to give it to you free of charge.

// Gr. Michiel

Unknown 1.jpg Unknown 2.jpg Unknown 3.jpg Unknown 4.jpg Unknown 5.jpg

code1038

Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
code1038
eBay Username
code1038
is it to put cartridges from different countries without getting blocked by shape ?

1280px-SNES-SFAM-Cartridges.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: michielvoo

michielvoo

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 26, 2019
Donations
£14.06
michielvoo.net
AGName
michielvoo
AG Join Date
Feb 10, 2010
Good one, I hadn't thought about that. The slot on the top is shaped to fit a Super Famicom (or European Super Nintendo) cassette though. I don't have an American cassette to test. If I ever get one, I'll make sure to see if it fits.

Thanks!

T_chan

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
T_chan
AG Join Date
Apr 13, 2008
It's a little bit different from / more simple than the AD-29 adapter that I have...
The AD-29 adapter has 2 slots, I think it then uses the region chip of the 2nd cartridge, allowing I think to play a PAL game on a NTSC console (or the opposite - never tried though).

1607193256269.png

The second slot on your adapter does not seem to be connected, but looks as if it has the format of a famicom cartridge.
Maybe there was another model that included a famicom to super famicom adapter, and that was using the same casing ?

michielvoo

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 26, 2019
Donations
£14.06
michielvoo.net
AGName
michielvoo
AG Join Date
Feb 10, 2010
A Famicom to Super Famicom adapter is not possible though. The Super Famicom's CPU can run code assembled for the Famicom's 6502 CPU, but the hardware architecture is completely different. The only thing close is the Tri-Star, which only uses the Super Nintendo for its power and joypads.

So even if there was an adapter in this shape with a Famicom connector, what could that have been used for?

T_chan

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
T_chan
AG Join Date
Apr 13, 2008
Those kind of adapters existed:

(similar to the tri-star indeed, but in a much smaller package)

michielvoo

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 26, 2019
Donations
£14.06
michielvoo.net
AGName
michielvoo
AG Join Date
Feb 10, 2010
I think these modern Famicom adapters have an FPGA that emulates a Famicom, which is why they are so compact. But they share an important (in the context of this thread) detail with the Tri-Star adapter, an A/V connector. But no A/V connector or opening for one is present on these two adapters I have.

takeshi385

Registered
Jun 4, 2019
AGName
takeshi385
AG Join Date
Mar 29, 2011
I think these modern Famicom adapters have an FPGA that emulates a Famicom, which is why they are so compact. But they share an important (in the context of this thread) detail with the Tri-Star adapter, an A/V connector. But no A/V connector or opening for one is present on these two adapters I have.
I don’t think it is an fpga, rather a system on a chip.

Sys64738

Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Sys64738
AG Join Date
Oct 22, 2008
This is just speculation at this point however:

The plastic case could have been re-purposed from another device. The lower (FC) slot SEEMS to be for famicom cartidges (or Megadrive/MSX/SMS... Same shape) but a FC cartridge won't fit because the PCB is wider than the rectangular hole in the plastic.
It could have been used in some copier adapter originally and then recycled for this thing.

A PAL/GAL IC was used in some of the more advanced region bypass cartridges, it faked the 50/60 Hz, so you could use a protected cart (SFII) in a machine that already had some means to bypass the CIC. Knowing what cartridge pins the IC is connected to could clarify the matter.

Reactions: michielvoo

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
I think famiclone chips like the Tristar Adapter, cheapest way.

Reactions: Jerich0

Make a donation