Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast Need some help unlocking a Dreamcast Beta, anybody up for it?

CHAL Gaming

Original poster
Registered
Mar 3, 2021
AGName
CHAL Gaming
AG Join Date
03/03/2021
Ok, so has anybody heard of the dreamcast game "Wacky Races" before? i certainly have. it was my definitive childhood game, and quite possibly the first game i ever got. (more specifically the PS2 version, but that's not the point i'm trying to get at) I made this account specifically to request this from the dreamcast hacking community, because i found a bearly doccumented prototype of the game that was given out to magazines and the staff team so that they could take screenshots to go on the back of the box, in the manual, in magazines etc etc etc. but here's the thing... there are 3 worlds in this game with 5 diffrent gamemodes, the worlds being Snowfall Peaks, Wild Frontier and Redwood Valley. and the modes being Track Challenge, Wacky Cup, Golden Muttley, Battle Arena and Team 00 Knockout Challenge. so that's all fine and dandy... but for reasons that i really can't explain, every single sign in the game is forced to bring you to the redwood valley track challenge for no reason. and i think you can see why this is a problem. because this was a prototype, it featured a lot of early features... but i can't see most of them if it locks me into redwood valley track challenges! so my request is that somebody is to hack the file so that all the tracks are accessible. and please, don't spoil what's on there, i want to make a blind video playthrough myself.
Link to the prototype: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nKEjaV2zIWxVnPBsnHSgoKYAQTTwan_K?usp=sharing
Video of me playing the Prototype: (the second one i do)
when it's been done, send a link to it in the replies.
I've heard good things about this community. please don't let me down. ;)

CHAL Gaming

Original poster
Registered
Mar 3, 2021
AGName
CHAL Gaming
AG Join Date
03/03/2021
dont mind me, just boosting this request until my hero on his shining white steed comes to save the day.

CHAL Gaming

Original poster
Registered
Mar 3, 2021
AGName
CHAL Gaming
AG Join Date
03/03/2021
booping this into the top display bippetyba skiboop

CHAL Gaming

Original poster
Registered
Mar 3, 2021
AGName
CHAL Gaming
AG Join Date
03/03/2021
bippety bop boosting this back to the top

Attachments

• 1616270721390.png
    1616270721390.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 0

FR0ZN

Registered
Jan 14, 2020
AG Join Date
Feb 22, 2008
Try to contact japanese_cake - this guy is responsible for so many great Dreamcast developments in the past few years, including a lot of VGA patches for games, which were barely designed to be played this way.
If one guy can help you, it's him no doubt.

Here is his blog with all this developments: https://japanese-cake.livejournal.com/
And here is his twitter, where you will probably have the most luck contacting him: https://twitter.com/jc_dcdev

EDIT: Oh nevermind, he is on this board as well - @japanese_cake do you think you can help here? :)

CHAL Gaming

Original poster
Registered
Mar 3, 2021
AGName
CHAL Gaming
AG Join Date
03/03/2021
Try to contact japanese_cake - this guy is responsible for so many great Dreamcast developments in the past few years, including a lot of VGA patches for games, which were barely designed to be played this way.
If one guy can help you, it's him no doubt.

Here is his blog with all this developments: https://japanese-cake.livejournal.com/
And here is his twitter, where you will probably have the most luck contacting him: https://twitter.com/jc_dcdev

EDIT: Oh nevermind, he is on this board as well - @japanese_cake do you think you can help here? :)
i sent him a tweet, let's hope he replies

CHAL Gaming

Original poster
Registered
Mar 3, 2021
AGName
CHAL Gaming
AG Join Date
03/03/2021
I'm not interested in this
you know, normally when i see something like this i would go on some sort of rant about how there's no way you could have read all of that so quickly, but you make your own decisions, so i won't bug you about it.

megavolt85

DreamShell Developer
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
www.dc-swat.ru
AGName
megavolt85
AG Join Date
I read this post on dreamcast-talk and here on the day of its creation, but I'm not interested in this

Last edited:

CHAL Gaming

Original poster
Registered
Mar 3, 2021
AGName
CHAL Gaming
AG Join Date
03/03/2021
I read this post on dreamcast-talk and here on the day of its creation, but I'm not interested in this I read this post on dreamcast-talk and here on the day of its creation, but I'm not interested in this
ooooooh right, sorry for literally being everywhere then. it's just that you can imagine that it's difficult to get people that specialize in dreamcast rom hacking to help.

Americandad

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
Americandad
AG Join Date
July 4, 2011
At least he was nice enough to give an honest reply, albeit somewhat blunt. I find it more rude when people don't reply at all.

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
@CHAL Gaming, chances that someone else is just as passionate as you about this game could prove difficult. Hence chances that someone will jump onto your request is slim.

I would recommend you to download GDROM-explorer so you can extract all the data from the beta. From there you can look around into the files, and most likely find the other racing tracks. From there try experimenting with renaming one of the tracks to the "redwood valley track" so that the game thinks its loading this one, but its actually loading another ;)

Reactions: Arcadia

PrOfUnD Darkness

Registered
Jul 10, 2019
AGName
PrOfUnD Darkness
AG Join Date
2004-03-13
Have you tried to replace the open track with the other ones? Maybe just replacing the files will work...worth a shot maybe.

CHAL Gaming

Original poster
Registered
Mar 3, 2021
AGName
CHAL Gaming
AG Join Date
03/03/2021
i'll try it, and reply back if it doesn't work.

CHAL Gaming

Original poster
Registered
Mar 3, 2021
AGName
CHAL Gaming
AG Join Date
03/03/2021
Ok so, i opened the files, and haven't found a way to swap around the map files. but i did find an unused WAV file which appears to be a midi version of the cartoon's opening. i'll send this as an attachment. maybe you guys could figure out a way consdiering that you have been here way longer than i have. i guess seeing new travellers enterring these fourms is a sight that not many people get to see.

Attachments

• betawmvbrij.mp4
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

CHAL Gaming

Original poster
Registered
Mar 3, 2021
AGName
CHAL Gaming
AG Join Date
03/03/2021
i would find some way to modify the files, but every single time i search "how to romhack dreamcast roms" google just brings me "how to hack your dreamcast" EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. this is precisely the reason why i couldn't find anybody else when i started, because THEN if i search "Dreamcast Rom Hackers" it thinks i'm searching for "Dreamcast Rom Hacks" and it's just never the thing i want.

Make a donation