Dreamcast New Chinese Dreamcast console shells being produced

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
So this was brought to my attention on reddit the other day, but I didn't think much about it until I took another look. But these are all new, and even have a metal Dreamcast logo, as well as Sega logo on the front. It comes with sheets of stickers too apparently to let you put the correct sticker for your region and revision and model on the bottom side of the console. It is about $76 USD. So far they seem to only be available to the west from Australia on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-Dreamcast-Console-3rd-Party-Translucent-Case-Shell-Transparent-Clear/123787715219?hash=item1cd252a293:g:RnQAAOSwPRFc8S5t

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I 100% agree there. Hopefully, we can find the source of these, but looking at Alibaba turned up zero results. So wherever these are coming from in China are still a pretty well kept secret. If they are not just a super limited run, and are getting more mass produced hopefully we can get them cheaper as well as more color options.

I calculated how much to ship this from Australia to Texas and it came to $22 USD, so this woould be right at $100 were I to buy one. At that rate, the bulk ones coming out of Chile on eBay are most likely cheaper to buy for many.

Anyway, a good thing about these, are that if you were to lightly paint the inside with a thin layer of colored paint, it would look pretty cool. I had seen Gameboy and Crystal OG Xbox cases painted on the inside to great results. But maybe using plastic dye woould be the better option here if you wanted to keep it transparent?

kad2b6fote111.jpg

Reactions: truemaster

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
I like it, and I like the fact that there's a place in the market for quality parts for the DC, not just cheap junk.

RtFM

Registered
Jan 26, 2019
AGName
RtFM
AG Join Date
Feb 18, 2017
Looking forward that they will pop up on eBay uk. ;)

dj898

Jun 1, 2019
what.is.it.
AGName
dj898
AG Join Date
I wonder one half of shell will be matching up with the other half of factory shell. The old Chinese shell a decade ago didn't FWIW.

GhostSeed

Jun 4, 2019
AGName
GhostSeed
AG Join Date
Apr 13, 2007
Where there ever official replacement tops? I've saw these tops back in the day and they looked official to me. I think I still have a yellow and clear one in storage somewhere. The yellow one looked exactly like this one.

Solotaire

Registered
May 30, 2019
These look great. Hopefully, some discounted ones will show up on AliExpress sometime soon.

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I am super hopeful that other colors are made, and that we find the source of where these are coming from.

If I find out any more info on these I will keep you guys posted!

hippo

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
assemblergames.com
AGName
tichua
AG Join Date
Feb 5, 2008
I have a complete set of Official lids (Clear, Clear Black, Clear Blue, Clear Yellow, and Solid Black) which was bought at Suruga-ya Don Quijote years ago. They are quite nice but I want more color options. I contacted the seller of the listing above and she said that they are making a second color (Translucent grey), which will be available in 2-3 weeks. If the 2nd color sale well like the translucent clear, they will make many more colors. I'm really looking forward to that.

Reactions: Anthony817

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
So that means the Aussies that are hosting the auction page are the same people who commissioned these in the first place from China? I mean, I am confused as to why there would be Chinese characters on the box if this sole auction page is the only outlet trying to sell these to the West. Unless they are just insiders that know what the plans are of the original manufactures?

But if this is true than great news. Bad news is they are planning on charging almost $100 USD for these when it all comes down to paying $76 for them, as well as the $22 shipping charge at least to me here from Australia to Texas. So I think it would benefit everybody if these could be made way cheaper and in larger numbers. Most people don't want to fork out so much for just plastic.

hippo

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
assemblergames.com
AGName
tichua
AG Join Date
Feb 5, 2008
So that means the Aussies that are hosting the auction page are the same people who commissioned these in the first place from China? I mean, I am confused as to why there would be Chinese characters on the box if this sole auction page is the only outlet trying to sell these to the West. Unless they are just insiders that know what the plans are of the original manufactures?

But if this is true than great news. Bad news is they are planning on charging almost $100 USD for these when it all comes down to paying $76 for them, as well as the $22 shipping charge at least to me here from Australia to Texas. So I think it would benefit everybody if these could be made way cheaper and in larger numbers. Most people don't want to fork out so much for just plastic.
I don't know if the Aussies are the only distributor. I think they are just reseller who happens to know the source and got first dibs before everyone else.

I bought 4 cases from the eBay seller and she sent me a photo of my package. Seems very well packed. She also sent me a photo of what the translucent grey will look like. It doesn't have the Sega text in front yet as they have not finished with the case

Clear Grey.jpg

Attachments

• DC orders.jpeg
    DC orders.jpeg
    957.1 KB · Views: 0

Virtua Hunter

Registered
Jun 23, 2019
It's great that they are making new ones, but the price is too high for an empty shell...it should be half that price (and it would still be expensive, it's just plastic after all).
Hope they'll mass produce these, the limited edition stuff is always a pain.

Reactions: Anthony817

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
I don't mind the price. If this is a quality product I think it's reasonable.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
It's great that they are making new ones, but the price is too high for an empty shell...it should be half that price (and it would still be expensive, it's just plastic after all).
Hope they'll mass produce these, the limited edition stuff is always a pain.
Plastic is cheap, but moulds are *very* expensive. So I can understand the price if they do small batches. It's a scale economy really.

Last edited:

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Also keep in mind, they are adding premium features like a cast metal Dreamcast logo and silk screen printed SEGA logo on the front unlike the other older 3rd party shells. I do hope they come down in price though. If these start selling well hopefully they can afford to lower the price. However if they get used too selling them for such high prices maybe they won;t want to lower it.

dark

Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
dark
AG Join Date
September 2, 2011
Looking forward to some other colors. I've never been a fan of translucent cases but appreciate that someone is making them.

Make a donation