Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast New Indie Dreamcast 3D Racing game by JoshProd called Arcade Racing Legends has a playable demo out and kickstarter is live

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I am sure many of you here will have already heard about this new upcoming 3D racing game by JoshProd for the Dreamcast. It is based on an older IOS game called Racing Pro, but it is heavily modified with new vehicles based on classic cars from popular Sega racing games.

The cars will not be licensed, and the sponsors names and logos will be changed in the final version a la Tokyo Extreme Racer where cars are inspired by real world ones but logos and names changed. The game is made with the KOS SDK as well.

An all new demo was released on the 16th of July 2019 and has more new cars and tracks in this version. I am only leaving the 2 previous links up for preservation purposes.

2nd demo below.

Link below is the older more simple demo, only leaving up for preservation purposes.

Here is a link to the official kickstarter.

Last edited:

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Pretty damn cool! Seems strange to port an Ios game for the DC, but what do I know.

Reactions: Anthony817

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Not really when you think about it. Older mobile IOS devices used the same type of GPU architecture as the Dreamcast which was a PVR chip. So in that way, it might be somewhat easier to get the textures and model formats rendered on the system much easier. However, the last 3D racing game JoshProd had ported over and published was a PSP mini's game called 4X4 Jam. So similar powered hardware such as PSP and IOS and porting over older 3D mobile games make a ton of sense. Specifically the PSP since it has the same amount of controls as DC.

Also, what other systems would they actually be able to port games over in this day and age that are similar in hardware specs that would work? Not many. So Mobile systems and lower spec Indie PC games are pretty much it.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Huh, didn't know that. The button layout makes alot of sense actually, now that you mention it.

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Looks good, hopefully the control is an improvement over say MSR.

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Well, it isn't as technical as MSR at all, as I would say this is more firmly in the arcade handling genre, not that MSR is simulation. But from the demo I played today I enjoyed the handling, it was decent for what it was. Not like Sega Rally at all, so not slidey, more grippy. So fans of those games may want more loose handling to be able to drift all over the place.

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
My thing is that most of the DC racing games had awful control if you used the standard controller, but were fine with the racing wheel. But who the heck wants to be bothered with one of those! I wish someone could port one of the NFS to DC, as their loss was a terrible casualty of EA banning games on the system.

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Hey, NFS High Stakes, AKA Road Challenge was my jam! EA was a punk bitch for denying us the possibility of a PC quality port of that amazing game on the DC along with all of their other IP's.

If it weren't for Sega, EA wouldn't have gotten anywhere. The least they could have done was supported the DC. It was pretty petty of them to hold a grudge after the Saturn was discontinued. With EA's support no doubt the DC could have held on a bit longer at least another year or 2 maybe.

Also, I modded my DC controller with a PS4 thumbstick, and it controls way better in racing games especially. Hopefully those Retro-Bit DC controllers sticks will feel even better.

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Well 4X4 Jam was ported with the official SDK it was reported, so naturally it was also assumed this game was done with it as well.

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Well 4X4 Jam was ported with the official SDK it was reported, so naturally it was also assumed this game was done with it as well.

4X4 Jam was speculated to be in WinCE, not Katana.
But I just looked at this demo and found myself a copy of 4x4 Jam and they're both built with KallistiOS, not Katana, not Windows CE.
Might want to change the statement in OP because that definitely changes my entire perception of these projects. I was looking down on JoshProd for commissioning games with stolen SDKs, turns out they were doing it all the right way the whole time, due to bullshit rumors in the community.

Haven't been able to play it yet, but this definitely changes my enthusiasm level for this game knowing it was designed with community software.
Really looking forward to getting my hands on this one now. Titles like these are the ones that deserve our money!!

Last edited:

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
No, i'm rebuild homebrew to GDI for my dreamshell loader 0.7.0, i'm remove GDROM reactivation and few functions. 4X4 Jam use KallistiOS

Weird, I changed my text and removed "4X4 Jam was done with Windows CE SDK, though, wasn't it?" before I posted... forum bug?

But yes, I looked at both 4x4 Jam and this Arcade Racing demo and both of them have strings in the binary that indicate using KallistiOS and no data from Katana/WinCE.

Definitely using KOS. :)

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Hey, NFS High Stakes, AKA Road Challenge was my jam! EA was a punk bitch for denying us the possibility of a PC quality port of that amazing game on the DC along with all of their other IP's.

If it weren't for Sega, EA wouldn't have gotten anywhere. The least they could have done was supported the DC. It was pretty petty of them to hold a grudge after the Saturn was discontinued. With EA's support no doubt the DC could have held on a bit longer at least another year or 2 maybe.

Also, I modded my DC controller with a PS4 thumbstick, and it controls way better in racing games especially. Hopefully those Retro-Bit DC controllers sticks will feel even better.

Well I'm not going to mod my controllers, but IF the Retro-Bit ever come out, and improve the analog stick, I'll get one.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
4X4 Jam was speculated to be in WinCE, not Katana.
But I just looked at this demo and found myself a copy of 4x4 Jam and they're both built with KallistiOS, not Katana, not Windows CE.
Might want to change the statement in OP because that definitely changes my entire perception of these projects. I was looking down on JoshProd for commissioning games with stolen SDKs, turns out they were doing it all the right way the whole time, due to bullshit rumors in the community.

Haven't been able to play it yet, but this definitely changes my enthusiasm level for this game knowing it was designed with community software.
Really looking forward to getting my hands on this one now. Titles like these are the ones that deserve our money!!
Maybe they're using a DevKit for testing/debugging? Is that possible without the official SDK?
That could explain the misunderstanding.

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007

AFAIK, they chose not to support DC not because of the Saturn being discontinued, but because they launched Saturn early.
Sega chose not to communicate with their 3rd party devs and many retailers when they offered the Saturn for sale early.
Many developers had their entire roadmaps and dev schedules completely thrown off, and retailers who weren't let in on the secret were screwed.
Even fans in the middle of saving up for a Saturn were thrown off.
Sega seriously fucked up on that one, I have no idea what they were thinking.
I absolutely loathe EA, but as much as I love Sega they have made stupid business decisions left and right, in the 90s, the 00s, and still today.
While the Dreamcast was amazing and deserved everyone's support, Sega had burned so many bridges with fans, devs, publishers, and retailers. I don't blame anyone from backing away from the Sega dumpster fire.

Maybe they're using a DevKit for testing/debugging? Is that possible without the official SDK?
That could explain the misunderstanding.

I don't own one so I can't say for sure, but I would think it would take a lot of work to get that set up and working, more work than just using a BBA/dc-tool GDB debugging with KallistiOS.

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
You were deceived 4X4 Jam too use KallistiOS
i can say more, this game use engine of 4X4 Jam :)

Wow, then I will definitely change the text in the original post to reflect this news! People were saying it was done with Windows CE or Katana SDK and I guess people were just repeating it without doing any real research.

If they are able to get retail quality graphics now with KOS this literally changes everything and the perception of these games, and KOS itself should be seen in a much better light now. No longer is KOS seen as subpar to the official SDK libraries, and this is really a great thing for everybody involved. This proves once and for all, that KOS is just as good as the official tools.

Now everybody is happy all around and there is no reason for ANYBODY to dismiss these new 3D games as not legit.

Reactions: fafadou and darcagn

dark

Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
dark
AG Join Date
September 2, 2011
Wow very impressive. It needs one of those looping images of the sky imprinted over the car windshield/windows as a fake reflection to make it seem more like a sega 3d arcade racing game.

Reactions: Anthony817 and neo

Anthony817

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
The kickstarter page is live and it is already €8,214 funded at the time of this post!

One of the stretch goals is online multiplayer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arcadia

Make a donation