1. Guest , Please bear with us while we rebuild the site over the coming days.
    A new look for OG has been released.

Featured New Opportunity in Game Preservation

Discussion in 'Important Announcements' started by Borman, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Borman

Borman Gold Member

As of September, I will be moving yet again, this time to Rochester, NY for a new opportunity, as the Digital Games Curator at the Strong National Museum of Play. Specifically, I will be directing the Strong’s efforts to preserve digital materials related to the collections of the museum’s International Center for the History of Electronic Games. The job description is varied, but ultimately it will be an evolution of what I’ve been working on since I started PtoPOnline in 2005, while I was still in high school. Working with the extremely talented and dedicated crew at the Strong, I truly believe that we will be a key force in guiding the future of game preservation for decades to come.

This new opportunity does necessitate change for me personally, though. As of when I start at the Strong, there will be no updates on PtoPOnline for the foreseeable future, to eliminate any possible conflicts of interest that could arise. I would to make it clear: my curating of content going forward is not just for my sole interest, but rather to the Strong and the communities engaged and interested in gaming and game preservation. That doesn't mean that PtoPOnline is dead or disappearing, all the content will stay, and I think there will be an opportunity in the future, but a hiatus is necessary.

One of my goals the past few years has been to get the content that I’ve been collecting into the hands of gamers and researchers alike. Working for the Strong will provide that opportunity. I have a feeling that the type of stories that I have been able to tell here will be expanded and grow through the development of onsite and online exhibits. Acquisition of new materials will change as well, as the Strong has their own procedures to make sure that everything is accounted for as needed.

I’ve heard it said a million times, “That Belongs in a Museum!” Well now I will be at one, and while I’m not ready to announce the future of my own personal collection, I will continue to be thinking about the best ways to provide access to materials to those that need them. The new role will be an adjustment, but one that is beyond exciting.

I'm not going anywhere. I want to continue to work with all of you, so that all of our materials can be appreciated and live on. Thank you everyone!

[​IMG]

2. gaming247

gaming247 Administrator

Congrats on the exciting opportunity, Borman! Sounds like this job will be a great fit for you. And I'm glad to hear you'll still be around the community. Best of luck with the move and new position!

Borman likes this.
  3. Nex

Nex doesn't even have a devkit Dev Kit Owner

Will miss your videos, those are great. That said, congratulations of fullfilling one of your dreams, best luck with the future ahead of you!

Borman likes this.
  4. rewak

rewak Dev Kit Owner

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Borman likes this.
  5. Paulweeze71

Paulweeze71 Administrator

Can't think of anyone else who would be able to fill those shoes. I know we don't talk too often but congratulations on you new well deserved position! I might have a few pieces for you guys once you get your foot in the door :)

Borman likes this.
  6. fate6

fate6 Lolita Dress Collector Gold Member

This is when you hire me as your loli assistant right?
    (congrats BTW)

system2, Borman, Digmac and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jakeeenator

Jakeeenator Administrator

Congrats @Borman ! Glad to hear you where able to land your dream job. :)

Borman likes this.
  8. Wombat

Wombat Gold Member

This is such great news, congratulations @Borman! I could not have thought of anyone better than you doing this! Looking forward seeing your preservations come to fruition.

Borman likes this.
  9. Demon

Demon Well-Known Member

Late to replying to this as I was unwell/away.

Said ages ago to Borman, nobody is more suited to this job. Borman's work with PToPOnline and saving gaming history is huge and that alone deserves this amazing job. It's a shame we won't get as many videos but this just opens a new book in the name of preservation, having the preservation master working for you will only just mean bigger and better things in the furture.

For all we know, this might lead more devs to want to properly preserve their history.

Congratulations again Borman and good luck! :)

Borman likes this.