Here are some links you may find helpful

NGC DOL-101 possible alternative serial port location

spademytal

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 22, 2019
As many of you know the latter model Nintendo GameCube Dol-101 (and some Dol-001's) had its serial port removed. This makes it impossible to use the SD2SP2 option on these models. I'm wondering if anyone has ever looked into a possible solution to return the port with alternate solder locations or what not. Or did Nintendo remove it to the point where there is no modification solution to be found. This idea is inspired from the Sony PSTwo slim mod on the V12/13 PSTwo's where the ability to add the IDE HDD port back to the console was located by Automan (i.e HD-Connect, HD-Combo)

Nully

Donator
Donator
Sep 14, 2019
AGName
lh
AG Join Date
I now realize why the GC Loader exists, I forgot about this issue... :rolleyes:

Reactions: spademytal

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
As many of you know the latter model Nintendo GameCube Dol-101 (and some Dol-001's) had its serial port removed. This makes it impossible to use the SD2SP2 option on these models. I'm wondering if anyone has ever looked into a possible solution to return the port with alternate solder locations or what not. Or did Nintendo remove it to the point where there is no modification solution to be found. This idea is inspired from the Sony PSTwo slim mod on the V12/13 PSTwo's where the ability to add the IDE HDD port back to the console was located by Automan (i.e HD-Connect, HD-Combo)

I haven't actually looked, but it should be possible - the EXI bus is driven from Flipper, and all the Flipper pins have vias extending to the back of the board.

Edit @spademytal - photo attached

This is from the back of the PCB with the board orientation such that the memory card slots are at the bottom.

The numbers on the colored circles correspond to the pins on P8 - this excludes power pins (1 = +3.3V, 2+8 = GND)

SerialPort2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: spademytal

spademytal

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 22, 2019
Edit @spademytal - photo attached

This is from the back of the PCB with the board orientation such that the memory card slots are at the bottom.

The numbers on the colored circles correspond to the pins on P8 - this excludes power pins (1 = +3.3V, 2+8 = GND)

Please forgive me I just now noticed your EDIT! This is great! So we can pull +3.3V from anywhere as well as ground I'm assuming. The SD2SP2 board has 8 points, 5 of which are not power or ground, these points are...

INT:
DO:
CS:
CLK:
DI:

The 5 points on your diagram, do you know how they should be assigned to these points on the SD2SP2? Thanks for doing the leg work on finding these points. If we can assign these points I'll try to find time to crack open my DOL-101 and see if Swiss can see it.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Please forgive me I just now noticed your EDIT! This is great! So we can pull +3.3V from anywhere as well as ground I'm assuming. The SD2SP2 board has 8 points, 5 of which are not power or ground, these points are...

INT:
DO:
CS:
CLK:
DI:

The 5 points on your diagram, do you know how they should be assigned to these points on the SD2SP2? Thanks for doing the leg work on finding these points. If we can assign these points I'll try to find time to crack open my DOL-101 and see if Swiss can see it.

No problem - yes, you can use any GND or 3.3V points you like on the board.

P8 (SP2) pinout:

1: +3.3V
2: GND
3: INT
4: CLK
5: DO
6: DI
7: CS
8: GND

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator