Here are some links you may find helpful

NES Nintendo did right by Classic NES owners in the 90s

BomberDino

Original poster
Registered
Aug 23, 2020
AGName
BomberDino
Nintendo continued to supply quality releases for the NES well after the SNES was released. Games like Kirby, Megaman, Battletoads/DD, and Adventure Island 3. As a Genesis owner, I remember wishing I could play some of these late NES releases.

I didn't get the Vectorman series, nor did I like the Genesis Virtua Fighter 2, so the Genesis' later years weren't that great for me.

The SNES didn't receive the same treatment. However, I was still impressed that it received a port of Street Fighter Alpha 2.

I recently saw someone playing the second installment of the Tomb Raider reboot on an Xbox 360 and it looked like an Xbox ONE game. This got me thinking about previous generations that are well supported after the newer generations are out.

Honorable mention #1: The PC-Engine, but only in Japan, where it even received a respectable Street Fighter 2 port.
Honorable mention #2: Neo Geo, which received quality releases for well over a decade, but it was crazy expensive.

Reactions: Arcadia

ndiddy

Aug 9, 2019
Nintendo released more SNES games in Japan than N64 games during the N64's lifespan.

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Nintendo released more SNES games in Japan than N64 games during the N64's lifespan.

Not that I don't trust you, but do you have any numbers? That would be interesting.

BomberDino

Original poster
Registered
Aug 23, 2020
AGName
BomberDino
I'm very curious how you could verify a statement like that. Even if you found an article somewhere that claims so, how did that author obtain those figures? Do you have to send an official query to Nintendo?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I'm very curious how you could verify a statement like that. Even if you found an article somewhere that claims so, how did that author obtain those figures? Do you have to send an official query to Nintendo?

There are lists of all of the games released for those systems. There’s probably more than one list, so if you doubt the accuracy of one list you could confirm it with another.

That said, I’m not sure if ndiddy’s statement is accurate, but I know the SFC definitely did get multiple releases after the release of the N64. Other systems, like the PS1 and PS2, got new releases for quite a while. I think the last PS2 game came out in like 2012.

Last edited:

DeChief

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
DeChief, Durandal
AG Join Date
Sometime in 2014?
Impressive, sure, but SNES SFA2 is total shit to play.

Reactions: BomberDino

BomberDino

Original poster
Registered
Aug 23, 2020
AGName
BomberDino
I was actually surprised they went through the effort to release it. At the time, I didn't feel like there was any demand for it. I wonder if it sold well.

Make a donation