Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Nintendo Playstation Prototype will be auctioned in february 2020

MrMario2011

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
On the seller's side: there's an additional fee that will be taken out of that $300,000 plus any taxes which will need to be paid on this.

hippo

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
assemblergames.com
AGName
tichua
AG Join Date
Feb 5, 2008
On the seller's side: there's an additional fee that will be taken out of that $300,000 plus any taxes which will need to be paid on this.

That's correct. HA charges fees for both parties (seller and buyer).

The seller also has to file Schedule D (Form 1040) for capital gain tax on the sale. Since he bought it for $75, the capital gain taxes would be huge. I think he will get around $150K after all fees and taxes.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
That's correct. HA charges fees for both parties (seller and buyer).

The seller also has to file Schedule D (Form 1040) for capital gain tax on the sale. Since he bought it for $75, the capital gain taxes would be huge. I think he will get around $150K after all fees and taxes.
I mean, I wouldn't spit on that.

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
nice price , it very near they looking price(US200,000) as first time meet them in Hong Kong

Nully

Donator
Donator
Sep 14, 2019
AGName
lh
AG Join Date
Hilarious.. another “I know what I got”er’s ego completely destroyed, this time for an international audience. Having read a bit of the sketchy backstory it’s likely this move was planned for years, only to fail. Even with that sales price, cash in hand-will always give a sour feeling of what could have been. Sad

CraZyEddy2010

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
That 300.000$ tho. They just should have kept this amazing piece of history. Hope they will be happy now. May the new owner be happy with this prototype ?

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Wow.. well, nothing left to see. Let's go home.

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
You know there's probably like 50 more of them in somebody's house, and he/she is using them as paper weights.

• Haha
Reactions: XBOX and hippo

Trenton_Net

Registered
Jun 4, 2019
I think Terry just got greedy. He clearly didn't do his homework as he spent all this money touring the device around (without any plans to get paid for appearances), turned down a 1.2M deal, thought all his showboating would net him a big windfall at auction, and it turns out to be a gong show. Don't get me wrong, 360K is a good chunk of money, but thinking he was going to do significantly better than 1.2M was a mistake.

MrMario2011

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
The interest has been there since the beginning, but I'm thinking the money wasn't. Does anyone remember the book they were trying to get published about the console? It was a book all about the Nintendo PlayStation and went onto Kickstarter, which failed to meet the minimum goal they set.

The seller thought it was worth at least $3 million, but the public had a chance to buy it. The market has spoken: this console is worth $300,000 not $3 million.

Reactions: XBOX

Trenton_Net

Registered
Jun 4, 2019
The interest has been there since the beginning, but I'm thinking the money wasn't. Does anyone remember the book they were trying to get published about the console? It was a book all about the Nintendo PlayStation and went onto Kickstarter, which failed to meet the minimum goal they set.

I like how, just because they stumbled upon the Playstation prototype, they feel that they are suddenly experts on the subject and can write a book about it. I bet they didn't know jack about this until they realized it was worth money and started asking around the gaming community to find out more. It's no wonder the book failed, as it would probably contain everything we already knew about the subject. But that's just my humble opinion.

MrMario2011

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
I like how, just because they stumbled upon the Playstation prototype, they feel that they are suddenly experts on the subject and can write a book about it. I bet they didn't know jack about this until they realized it was worth money and started asking around the gaming community to find out more. It's no wonder the book failed, as it would probably contain everything we already knew about the subject. But that's just my humble opinion.

It has been a bit since I looked at it, but I don't think they were positioning themselves as the experts by any means? Going to China was a huge help as it was all documented and x-rayed, then of course Ben Heck got the thing working to 100% capacity. It was a failed Kickstarter for a neat book, that's about it in my eyes.

I still believe the public just didn't want to put their money on it. Plenty of conventions paid to fly the owners all over the world, several people donated parts and games, and countless people got to see and play it for free. It just seems like the big big money isn't there when opening to the public, whether it be for a book or for the console itself.

Borman

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 31, 2018

The seller thought it was worth at least $3 million, but the public had a chance to buy it. The market has spoken: this console is worth $300,000 not $3 million.

Lots of people can say "Id pay 3 million for it!" but few can actually follow through. I was laughed at when I said it would sell for far less than expected (before it was confirmed to be anything more than a shell, mind you), and if after this many years this is as far as it got, I can't say I was far off.

psx-collector

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 4, 2019
Donations
£5.00
AGName
Twilight
AG Join Date
Dec 7, 2007
Rich doesn't mean idiot. Many people think that rich collector will pay any crazy amount but it's not so. I can't really understand such logic.

Make a donation