Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast No video output on HKT-0120

Gydafud

Original poster
Apr 6, 2021
AGName
Gydafud
Hi all,

I have a HKT-0120 Dreamcast Dev kit that has been sitting in storage for about 10 years, and a recent bout of inspiration (and moving house) has uncovered the Kit and I was curious to boot it up.

However, I am a complete notice and I am not getting any video output from the Kit and only a black screen. The TV does pick up an output from the device and the resolution of 800x240 but there is nothing displayed. Slide switch is to the left, rotator is set to 0 and I have tried VGA and composite settings on the dips switch without success. Also get nothing from the diagnostic mode.

Anything obvious I am missing? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

T_chan

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
T_chan
AG Join Date
Apr 13, 2008
Have you tried connecting it to a pc via a scsi card to see:
  • if it's recognized
  • if the programs of the SDK (DACheck / DBFlash) can access it / give some error ?

Red Ring Rico

Apr 26, 2020
AGName
RedRingRico
AG Join Date
May 26, 2009
I'm not sure if it helps but I had an issue where mine just quit showing video of any kind but the audio was still working. It turned out to be the video DAC had died and I replaced it with one from a retail unit. Hopefully it's not that severe as it sounds like you're at least getting a signal out.

Gydafud

Original poster
Apr 6, 2021
AGName
Gydafud
Have you tried connecting it to a pc via a scsi card to see:
  • if it's recognized
  • if the programs of the SDK (DACheck / DBFlash) can access it / give some error ?

I haven’t tried that yet as I understand I would need a windows 98 PC to try that. Unless I can use a SCSI card on windows 10 to achieve the same result.

I'm not sure if it helps but I had an issue where mine just quit showing video of any kind but the audio was still working. It turned out to be the video DAC had died and I replaced it with one from a retail unit. Hopefully it's not that severe as it sounds like you're at least getting a signal out.
Oh I didn’t check the audio. Is that always output from the composite even when using VGA? Or do I need to use the midi audio? I’ll have a play around and see if I can get anything.

Thanks for the replies!

T_chan

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
T_chan
AG Join Date
Apr 13, 2008
I haven’t tried that yet as I understand I would need a windows 98 PC to try that. Unless I can use a SCSI card on windows 10 to achieve the same result.

Welcome to Obscuregamers, the answer to life, the universe and everything: :cool:

Red Ring Rico

Apr 26, 2020
AGName
RedRingRico
AG Join Date
May 26, 2009
Oh I didn’t check the audio. Is that always output from the composite even when using VGA? Or do I need to use the midi audio? I’ll have a play around and see if I can get anything.
Yeah, it should be available at all times from the red and white audio out ports. Good luck!

Make a donation