PS2 Noise From Game After Modchip Install SCPH-7501

Vorde

Original poster
Registered
Nov 18, 2019
AGName
Vorde
Hey everyone,
So I recently got into the wonderful world of installation Playstation modchips. I programmed my own MM3's onto 12F508 chips, and installed one onto my SCPH-7501. Took a few tries to install but got it up and working, boot games and seemingly worked well.
After about an hour or so of use, the console will sometimes crash, refuses to boot more games (won't go to 2x mode that's needed to read liscense data on disc), or will do this...

This noise happens in every game I play, and only seems to occur after the system has been on for longer than an hour. I'm thinking it could be some kind of signal cross talk into the audio lines heading out, or could be voltage being bridged somehow somewhere on the board by accident.
If anyone could give me some ideas that would be amazing!

Vorde

Original poster
Registered
Nov 18, 2019
AGName
Vorde
Picture of install?
Sure I can get some within the hour.
I hotglued the chip and soldered wires to each leg and then followed quade's webguide on install of it. I don't have pin 2 or pin4 connected but I dont believe that should have any impact on the operation on it

s8n

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
s8n
AG Join Date
there is a no go area on some MB's and wires should be routed away from it. But yes as Nully mentioned photos will help

Vorde

Original poster
Registered
Nov 18, 2019
AGName
Vorde
Heres a few pictures of the installation
I have a few more that I took, I just didn't want to overload the thread.
there's a no go area on MB
There's areas you specifically have to avoid on the board to stop things from cross talk from happening? None of this was mentioned in any guides or youtube videos I was following.

Attachments

• 20191118_184732.jpg
    20191118_184732.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191118_184741.jpg
    20191118_184741.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191118_184839.jpg
    20191118_184839.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: Nully

Nully

Donator
Donator
Sep 14, 2019
AGName
lh
AG Join Date
Everyone likes to start with the worst case scenario and low level technical cause of an issue, but are you using insulating tape over the chip? Those leads aren't soldered very well (I'm not saying to redo it, it works and if you're new then that's fine for your console) and the peaks of solder are just tall enough that they may be making contact (physical or ..electrical) with the metal shielding at times.

It's going to be difficult to diagnose if it's something that happens "sometimes" "hours into play" either way, just something I would check. If anything move it to a different/lower point on the board. I am not too sure as it's something that isn't immediate and obvious. I haven't experienced that before having installed hundreds of MM3s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vorde

Vorde

Original poster
Registered
Nov 18, 2019
AGName
Vorde
Everyone likes to start with the worst case scenario and low level technical cause of an issue, but are you using insulating tape over the chip? Those leads aren't soldered very well (I'm not saying to redo it, it works and if you're new then that's fine for your console) and the peaks of solder are just tall enough that they may be making contact (physical or ..electrical) with the metal shielding at times.
Yeah I'm somewhat new to soldering and installing modchips in playstations and creating reproduction carts are how I'm getting started.
I covered the top part of the metal shielding with electrical tape to make sure that it isn't touching it. I could trying using my solder sucker and resoldering to the chip legs again, and I could use another layer of tape and see if that resolves the issue.

Nully

Donator
Donator
Sep 14, 2019
AGName
lh
AG Join Date
Yeah I'm somewhat new to soldering and installing modchips in playstations and creating reproduction carts are how I'm getting started.
I covered the top part of the metal shielding with electrical tape to make sure that it isn't touching it. I could trying using my solder sucker and resoldering to the chip legs again, and I could use another layer of tape and see if that resolves the issue.

It's worth a shot I suppose. Here's some helpful infographics.
tools_Header_Joints.jpgsoldering101.png
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering/common-problems

Reactions: pool7

Vorde

Original poster
Registered
Nov 18, 2019
AGName
Vorde
Okay so I swapped the MM3 chip for another one, I cut the wire shorter, removed my previous solder and used new flux and solder. My friend who does mobile phone repairs noticed under a microscope that one of the pads was hanging on by a thread and in bad condition so he touched it up. To finish we covered the legs and some points of the wiring with UV cured underfill to stick it down and keep it from conducting. Boots games and will be testing tonight.

Vorde

Original poster
Registered
Nov 18, 2019
AGName
Vorde
Okay so I swapped the MM3 chip for another one, I cut the wire shorter, removed my previous solder and used new flux and solder. My friend who does mobile phone repairs noticed under a microscope that one of the pads was hanging on by a thread and in bad condition so he touched it up. To finish we covered the legs and some points of the wiring with UV cured underfill to stick it down and keep it from conducting. Boots games and will be testing tonight.
Sorry for the double post.
So the PSOne (SCPH-101 PM-41) we modded seemed to be working fine but after about an hour of playing Tekken 3 (original title) I began having the same symptoms.
Music began glitching out in the background, finished the fight, went back to the character select screen, and refused to load the next fight.
I turned off the console and turned it back on. The game refuses to boot.
I woke up this morning, console acts like everything is fine.
My SCPH-7501 refuses to spin discs now, so I believe something with a wire must have happened while I was reassembling it. Its just one thing after another haha

Make a donation