Welcome to Obscure Gamers

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

OG Group Buy 2.0

OG is trying to raise money to save hundreds of discs. We need to secure a few to start which'll help us get trust from the seller. If you're able to help please check the spreadsheet on google. Thank you!

Things to Batty for you?

You can disable the halloween effects by visiting User Preferences and hitting the "Disable holiday styling" option.

[Nokia N-Gage / QD] NotForSale MMCs Complete Thread: Alpha, Beta, Gold, Dev, P/Review, Proto.

DirkDagger

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
AG User Name
DirkDagger
AG Join Date
Mar 12, 2010
Because of Kevin's decision to rename AG to GraveyArd, just want to save my main thread abt NGE types of NFRs. Hope that still be interesting for all NGE collectors. :)

Here's original AG post:
Finally decided to make one complete thread abt N-Gage/QD NFS/NFR games. Never saw any more or less complete pics of that type of N-Gage builds. Collect retail NGE games quite cool too, for sure, but there are mostly nothing special - just find some cash and go to eBay (or not "some", if we talk abt WH40K/Atari2/A2 /MHP/SegaRally...
:D
). Here I will upload my complete NGE NFR sets, to other people who also collect this system know what still can be digged for it. Last my complete pics was done in 2010 and older, and they still walking in the web, but they are already outdated for sure. Also will be very nice if someone who also have that type of NGE MMCs will also upload here his/her own photo sets - in the thread, or in my PM if don't want to show MMCs serials publicly (yes, each NFR MMC was linked to specific person), especially if it containcs any MMCs that I still not found. I collect NGE since 2003/4 and still very deep in it. Sadly not to many same NGE NFR collectors nowdays due the rarity/cost of items. So, that will be very cool if also will be founded someone who also digg NGE same/harder than I. Here's the pics. I think they are quite exclusice, cause I never saw same shots, where will be most NGE NFRs in Alphabet order, but If anyone need them to use in any Media - like FB/YouTube/WiKi feel free to take them, just save the line with my nickname in the bottom and link to this thread. I deliberately did not put any complicated watermarks, because I do not see much point in this. As always, feel free to contact me with any NGE questions/offers via PM. I still enjoy by collecting N-Gage since more than 15 years, and will be very pleasure to talk abt all NGE related not mainstream/retail games/builds.
:)

P.S. New shots will be added as soon as they will be done. Also, will add any extras if will got something new.

G1.5 Builds = ALPHA:
Red stripe. This stuff much rare than Beta/Gold, due it was even more limited in distribution - mostly only inside Nokia. For example Beta/Gold (RC) builds also gone to Press for reviews.

G2.0 Builds = BETA:
Orange stripe. Rare stuff, same to Alphas - mostly used inside Nokia.
But some builds also gone to Press for reviews or GDC/E3 Kiosks as playable demos.

PROMO:
White stripe, already with colored front (also some exceptions - for example Green FiFA 2005 with no colored label). This stuff not so rare as Alpha/Beta builds, cause it's mostly was Pre/Retail builds for kiosks in gameshops, but some of them are still not often seen on sale, so they cost quite high too. Also here's near all Prototype-Promo MMCs. It's Promo builds of 1st wave NGE games - launch titles, and they all are Betas, with totally different design then their retail builds.

All Existed Media Preview / Review / Gold Master Preview Kits.
Media Preview / Review Kit = Work in Progress Orange Beta Build (G2.0) + MiniDVD with media abt the game.
Gold Master Review Kit = Already RC/PreRetail Gold Build (G3.0) + MiniDVD with media abt the game.
All that was intended for Press/Media (Paper - magazines, Digital - various game oriented sites).

Front:
Back:

Also here is two cancelled games from Sega:
- Alien Front with original Display Cover: Cancelled on G2.0 Beta Stage. Very low quantity of MMCs exist. Сount goes on single units. Same to VirtuaCop that also can be found on my Beta photo above.
- Sega Rally: Cancelled already as full retail box. Some boxes was sold in AU (OFLC) region, but most of the cartridges were recalled and destroyed. Just few hundreds alive, as I know. Maybe less, nowdays, especiall if talk abt sealed ones.

Next time, will made and upload G2.5 / G3.0 = RC/PreView Gold photo set and Dev MMCs. Further will see.

Tachikoma

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tachikoma
AG Join Date
Some time in March 2004...? hard to remember exactly when, but the forum backup has posts going back to then so let's go with that!
Awesome!

I'm still very interested in N-GAGE collecting, but haven't had the cash to really do it justice any more, so really pleased to see someone that has spent so much time collecting this unloved gem!

I have an unusual version of the "girl with snowboard" MMC, it has a noticeably lower quality print to my other copy, I always assumed it was a pirated version of the card, but I'm wondering if it might be an early release instead. Would you be interested in my uploading a scan of both cards to see if they are in any way interesting from a collecting/preservation standpoint? I don't think I have an MMC reader to hand so not sure what is on the cards.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, some of the Flo Boarding cards had a lower-quality label. Being a huge collector of N-Gage stuff myself, I have the different versions as well.

Tachikoma

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tachikoma
AG Join Date
Some time in March 2004...? hard to remember exactly when, but the forum backup has posts going back to then so let's go with that!
Yes, some of the Flo Boarding cards had a lower-quality label. Being a huge collector of N-Gage stuff myself, I have the different versions as well.

Ah cool, I never really found a definitive answer for the difference, but never came across many N-GAGE collectors in "the old forum" so didn't really pay it much mind. I really do need to dig out my Nokia charger, I have an hankering to play some Pocket Kingdom now, if only it didn't have that critical bug where it wiped your save randomly, it would be one of my favourite mobile games.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Btw, when did some of the N-Gage games become so stupidly expensive? Shadowkey > 200 bucks, The Roots > 100 bucks..? I finished my 100% sealed collection more than a decade ago already, gladly, and for most games I paid 5 to 15 bucks. I can sell now some of the games I got twice and get more money than I paid for my entire collection.

- Sega Rally: Cancelled already as full retail box. Some boxes was sold in AU (OFLC) region, but most of the cartridges were recalled and destroyed. Just few hundreds alive, as I know. Maybe less, nowdays, especiall if talk abt sealed ones.
Sorry, but that is complete nonsense. The game was released in Asia (and Australia if I'm not mistaken). It was not cancelled and there were ten-thousands of copies around. Please don't make up such stuff, as people tend to believe and repeat that all over the place. It's sad enough seeing all those fake re-sealed copies around and people already doubting properly sealed versions existed.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Pictures of a legit retail copy of Sega Rally from my collection:

IMG_20201012_200732338.jpg IMG_20201012_205619683.jpg IMG_20201012_205643655.jpg IMG_20201012_205657583.jpg

Shrink-wrapped copied are all fakes... they existed back then already shortly after it was clear the game would not see a world-wide release.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
While I'm at it anyway (sorting and setting up everything again after a move two weeks ago), here's a picture of my Press/Media kit games. All complete, System Rush has its contents even still sealed. Splinter Cell is a beta/preview version and quite different from the final release.

IMG_20201013_191518009.jpg

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Pandemonium! early box. I guess you can see why they dropped that artwork. :D

IMG_20201014_104154118.jpg

Tachikoma

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tachikoma
AG Join Date
Btw, when did some of the N-Gage games become so stupidly expensive? Shadowkey > 200 bucks, The Roots > 100 bucks..? I finished my 100% sealed collection more than a decade ago already, gladly, and for most games I paid 5 to 15 bucks. I can sell now some of the games I got twice and get more money than I paid for my entire collection.

Yeah I definitely decided to stop buying at the wrong time, but I guess it's a great time to sell, just a shame I never kept anything sealed as like you said they were ten a penny not long ago.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Documenting more of my N-Gage stuff.

Non-working sample of original N-Gage:

IMG_20201019_131537602.jpg IMG_20201019_131553872.jpg

And N-Gage QD: (CIB NOS)

IMG_20201019_131619528.jpg IMG_20201019_131640007.jpg

Tachikoma

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tachikoma
AG Join Date
Documenting more of my N-Gage stuff.

Non-working sample of original N-Gage:

View attachment 9418 View attachment 9419

And N-Gage QD: (CIB NOS)

View attachment 9420 View attachment 9421

Nice, not seen one of these for years!

I bought a couple of them years ago for something stupid like £5 each to try to salvage the shells/buttons to make my N-GAGE look like new, but obviously the internals are wildly different so that never worked. I think I still have the parts in a box somewhere, but they are essentially trashed.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
I remember buying the first one for the same reason. I had a quite beaten-up original N-Gage and that sample was 5 bucks or so, whereas an original replacement shell was 20 bucks. But no fit, so it stayed in my collection and the QD sample was added later, too. :)

Anyway, not so special, but here's my CIB retail N-Gage QD:

IMG_20201022_125125955.jpg

DBloke

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thenightsofgaming.com
AG User Name
DBloke
The N-gage was underused in my opinion, they could of done so much more with it

Does anyone have the countdown to launch clock? Would be a fun little refit project
Ive seen two of them, the last one was a not for sale, was in a vastly over priced retro stuff store in Aflexs palace in Manchester, despite offering the store owner £100 for it

Tachikoma

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Tachikoma
AG Join Date
Never seen one outside of promo things and there was a guy on Youtube that restored one a few years ago. I would offer quite a bit more than a ton, there must only be a handful of them still floating around in decent quality.

DBloke

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AG User Name
DBloke
Never seen one outside of promo things and there was a guy on Youtube that restored one a few years ago. I would offer quite a bit more than a ton, there must only be a handful of them still floating around in decent quality.

This was round the time that ET got dug up, 2010ish? Something about it was being filmed for the BBC's Newsround in the store and they needed a working 2600 to show the game.

derSammler

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
The N-gage was underused in my opinion, they could of done so much more with it
Not sure if I would agree to that. They tried very hard, but the design flaws of the first model damaged the N-Gage brand too much with the QD coming too late to help (and that had its own quirks anyway). For a failed system, the N-Gage certainly has the best library of games. And failed in the market or not, it was the forerunner of mobile gaming.

DBloke

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AG User Name
DBloke
Not sure if I would agree to that. They tried very hard, but the design flaws of the first model damaged the N-Gage brand too much with the QD coming too late to help (and that had its own quirks anyway). For a failed system, the N-Gage certainly has the best library of games. And failed in the market or not, it was the forerunner of mobile gaming.
Yeah the holding it sideways, D-pad is also a button and having to dismantle it to change games thing was a bit annoying, but they did fix that.
It also has a bloody great port of DOOM that can be played sideways