NR writer (SW-9501) debug

Hokusai

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Mar 9, 2019
Hi,

In an attempt to dump my collection of NR discs, I acquired an internal Panasonic SW-9501 and am currently trying to use it on my PC.
However when I boot in normal mode, I face a Windows black screen of death, with a white cursor.
Also, the DVD drive is always making a noise, as if the lens was trying to read something, somewhat similar to when a Gamecube fails reading a disc and raises an error.

The following pictures is what I see in Windows Safe boot mode.

• Windows Device Manager sees the drive :
nr bug 3.PNG

• NR writer patch seems to works :
nr bug 4.PNG

nr bug 5.PNG

• NR writer program sees ths drive (note that it sometimes lags for ~1 minute when the drive makes the noise described earlier)
nr bug.PNG

• However Rawdump raises an error (Please note that it is written "GameCube disc detected" whereas the drive was empty)
nr bug 2.PNG

• This is my setup.
    Is it correct ?

nr bug 7.PNG

nr bug 6.PNG

I have a jumper for SCSI ID = 2 (My adaptec card is ID = 7)
I also have a jumper for termination.
No humper for Parity.

Also, do I need to cut the SCSI cable between PCI card and Drive so that there is no unused ports on the cable ?

• Finally, I don't know if this is normal behaviour but my Adaptec PCI card BIOS says my SW-9501 is not a Disk Drive ?
nr bug 8.PNG

• Additional details : running all of this on Windows 10 - 64 bits.
    Adaptec PCI cards drivers do not work on 64 bits, so I used these ones

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinta77

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Hi,

In an attempt to dump my collection of NR discs, I acquired an internal Panasonic SW-9501 and am currently trying to use it on my PC.
However when I boot in normal mode, I face a Windows black screen of death, with a white cursor.
Also, the DVD drive is always making a noise, as if the lens was trying to read something, somewhat similar to when a Gamecube fails reading a disc and raises an error.

The following pictures is what I see in Windows Safe boot mode.

• Windows Device Manager sees the drive :
View attachment 2617

• NR writer patch seems to works :
View attachment 2618

View attachment 2619

• NR writer program sees ths drive (note that it sometimes lags for ~1 minute when the drive makes the noise described earlier)
View attachment 2620

• However Rawdump raises an error (Please note that it is written "GameCube disc detected" whereas the drive was empty)
View attachment 2621

• This is my setup.
    Is it correct ?

View attachment 2622

View attachment 2623

I have a jumper for SCSI ID = 2 (My adaptec card is ID = 7)
I also have a jumper for termination.
No humper for Parity.

Also, do I need to cut the SCSI cable between PCI card and Drive so that there is no unused ports on the cable ?

• Additional details : running all of this on Windows 10 - 64 bits.
    Adaptec PCI cards drivers do not work on 64 bits, so I used these ones

I have this panasonic unit but I've never actually used it lol. Wish I could help more

Hokusai

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Mar 9, 2019
I have this panasonic unit but I've never actually used it lol. Wish I could help more

Have you ever plugged it to your computer ? I would be happy to know what errors I should get or not. For example, the fact that the bios of my PCI card says « Not a disk drive ». If you want to try it, send me a message :)

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Have you ever plugged it to your computer ? I would be happy to know what errors I should get or not. For example, the fact that the bios of my PCI card says « Not a disk drive ». If you want to try it, send me a message :)
Well... I know its scsi. I learned about scsi briefly in computer science in high school but from what I understand, it was more or less obsolete at that point. I was under the impression that I would need an old computer to get this thing plugged in and running, but you said you have it running on Windows 10.

The other thing is I bought a SW-9501, but I'm not sure if it needs firmware to function properly. I dont know if it already has the NR writer firmware or if it has a different firmware on it. I was having an awful lot of trouble getting info on this

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
If you want to mess around with it, I could probably send you it. Or I could try messing around with it on my end

Hokusai

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Mar 9, 2019
It would be great, I would like to test another device because it is maybe just my drive that is faulty.
Do you have a pic of yours ?

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight

Reactions: Hokusai

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018

(That's not a hair, that's a scratch)

I may have accidentally gotten rid of the cable but it looked like this

Like I said, I've never used it, but I have powered it on.

Last edited:

Hokusai

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Mar 9, 2019
? thanks.

(Does the SCSI port have 50 or 68 pins ?)

Dragoon

Registered
Jan 24, 2020
AGName
Dragoon
AG Join Date
01-09-2010
As an alternative you can use your TDEV to load up some of the homebrew applications that allow you to dump games over BBA.
You can either use GCoS or swiss from the top of my head.

Make a donation